Monday, November 21, 2005

Pick one

I was reading over at The Bond Papers Ed's take on some pre-election strategy when there was a little cheap shot at Loyloa Hearn.

I kind of like Hearn, in spite of myself. He's old-guard Tory, not exactly my favourite politcal creature on Earth, but he's still a pretty likeable person. He always answered my calls promptly, gave me his cell number to call him and always gave me good quotes when I was working on stories.

Furthermore, he recently helped Cathy's family when they were in a tight spot. Several of her aunts, uncles and cousins were in Cancun for a wedding (Cathy's cousin Jillian) and were trapped there after Hurricane Wilma hit. The family in Newfoundland and in Mexico were having problems getting them out and getting information, but Cathy's father put a call into Hearn and things moved quickly after that. Furthermore, Hearn called Cathy's dad ever few hours to give him updates as to what was happening.

That's what you want your MP to be doing when you're having a crisis. I don't think he played up his role in getting things moving back home, but Cathy's family will remember it for a long time.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the pension thing, but considering he's about to run in his fourth election in five years, I think there's something more going on than just love of money. Running in an election once every four years is grueling. To do in that many times in five? It strikes me as a person who has things he wants to accomplish.

Besides, politicians are all bad when it comes to pensions. I've honestly lost track how many Tobin is getting at this point. It was widely speculated that Grimes held off calling a provincial election to make sure he could get a premier's pension when he left office. If you stay in politics long enough, there will be sheninigans involving pensions eventually. That doesn't make it right, but it's what happens.

But it did make me think; who is the best federal politician in the province? Who is doing the best job of representing us in Ottawa and helping his constuients? I don't know if this poll will work, but what the hell, let's give it a try. And no, you don't get the easy out of saying "None of the Above." Pick one. Check the sidebar and cast your vote.

Last 5 on iPod
1. The idiot - Stan Rogers (Home in Halifax)
2. Kiss and tell - Spirit of the West (Open Heart Symphony)
3. Nos da Cariad - David Gray (Life in Slow Motion)
4. Sick of myself - Bowling For Soup (Goes To The Movies)
5. This sad song - Allison Krauss and Union Station (Lonely Runs Both Ways)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cant get my vote to go through, any ideas?