Monday, November 21, 2005

Goudie=Gaines

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that Rex Goudie's appearance on last season's Canadian Idol didn't exactly wow me. I didn't get any hate mail, but any time I check my sitemeter for who is visiting my site, I'm constantly getting hits from search engines looking for information on Goudie. And judging by this story from VOCM things are starting to get crazy back home in the weeks leading up to the CD release.

Out of curiosity, I went and listened to his new single. It's a perfectly satisfactory little Top 40 radio friendly single. He "stays in in his range" as they say. I still think, in terms of pure talent, Jenny Gear was the best of the Newfoundland contingent on Idol, but she has done the least with the opportunity she was given.

However, I'm not sure I can take Goudie's new release seriously after reading this exchange between Amy Martin and her friend about Goudie and the cover art for his new CD. I have to agree, the similarities are eerie. Although I think Goudie looks wrong without that God damn baseball hat he wore all the time.

I will say that I think it's unfair that on Dec. 10 all the attention will be focused on Goudie when at roughly the same time one of the province's best singer/songwriter's will be releasing two CDs. I keep hyping him, but instead of Goudie, go and buy Sean Panting's 10 Songs and Victrola. I guarantee you they will be more clever, intelligent, funnier and catchier than what's on Goudie's release.

Last 5 on iPod
1. Elvis Presley and America - U2 (The Unforgetable Fire)
2. Boarderline - Allison Krauss and Union Station (Lonely Runs Both Ways)
3. Pony boy - Matthew Good (In A Coma)
4. One world - Dire Straits (Brothers in Arms: Best of...)
5. The holiday song - Pixies (Best of Pixies...)

No comments: