Sunday, November 06, 2005

Conversations with Cathy, part 2

"God, this version of Hallelujah is really terrible," Cathy said, sitting on the couch reading a book.

"You mean this version being sung by Leonard Cohen?" I replied.

"Yeah, it's awful. You have nicer versions of this song. Why do you have this one on your iPod?"

"Ummm, possibly because I wanted to have the original, which many people consider to be the best version."

"This is the original?" she said, kind of puzzled.

"Yup."

"Huh," she said, pasuing for a moment. "Still sucks though." And then she went back to her book.

Last 5 on iPod
1. Private investigations - Dire Straits (Very Best Of...)
2. Make or break harbour - Stan Rogers (Home in Halifax)
3. The old apartment - Barenaked Ladies (All Their Greatest Hits)
4. Better version of me - Fiona Apple (Extraordinary Machine)
5. Bastard - Ben Folds (Songs For Silverman)

5 comments:

His Nibs said...

Cathy, for shame. Cohen might have a half-octave range, but his music is sung by so many artists for a reason.

I'm curious - which version of the song was it? Cohen's early stuff might be said to lack the 'vocal character' of his later materials - praise the whiskey and cigarettes, I suppose.

His Nibs said...

A quick follow-up. Cathy would probably like the k.d. lang version of the song. I forgot I had it on my iBook, but it just cycled though. And I'll stubbornly resist saying its a better version. (ahem)

towniebastard said...

Her version, because it was on the Shrek Soundtrack, is by Rufus Wainwright. It's also the version that's on our wedding CD.

I think she appreciates Cohen as a songwriter. He is, after all, one of the best of the last half of the 20th century. But his singing voice is an acquired taste. I don't mind it. But then again, I'm a big Robbie Robertson fan.

I've heard the k.d lang version. I shall have to hunt it down. Can't have too many versions of the same song, after all...

His Nibs said...

You know you want this. It's the iCross...

http://www.pandagon.net/archives/2005/11/the_best_part_i.html

Karl said...

Boo Cathy. Sorry dahling, but the best version of this song is the one sung by the late Jeff Buckley on Grace.

Speaking of Jeff Buckley - does anyone else think that it is more than a little creepy that he has a MySpace page? I mean, he died in 1997. That's just not right.