Sunday, November 06, 2005

Conversations with Cathy, part 2

"God, this version of Hallelujah is really terrible," Cathy said, sitting on the couch reading a book.

"You mean this version being sung by Leonard Cohen?" I replied.

"Yeah, it's awful. You have nicer versions of this song. Why do you have this one on your iPod?"

"Ummm, possibly because I wanted to have the original, which many people consider to be the best version."

"This is the original?" she said, kind of puzzled.

"Yup."

"Huh," she said, pasuing for a moment. "Still sucks though." And then she went back to her book.

Last 5 on iPod
1. Private investigations - Dire Straits (Very Best Of...)
2. Make or break harbour - Stan Rogers (Home in Halifax)
3. The old apartment - Barenaked Ladies (All Their Greatest Hits)
4. Better version of me - Fiona Apple (Extraordinary Machine)
5. Bastard - Ben Folds (Songs For Silverman)

2 comments:

towniebastard said...

Her version, because it was on the Shrek Soundtrack, is by Rufus Wainwright. It's also the version that's on our wedding CD.

I think she appreciates Cohen as a songwriter. He is, after all, one of the best of the last half of the 20th century. But his singing voice is an acquired taste. I don't mind it. But then again, I'm a big Robbie Robertson fan.

I've heard the k.d lang version. I shall have to hunt it down. Can't have too many versions of the same song, after all...

Unknown said...

Boo Cathy. Sorry dahling, but the best version of this song is the one sung by the late Jeff Buckley on Grace.

Speaking of Jeff Buckley - does anyone else think that it is more than a little creepy that he has a MySpace page? I mean, he died in 1997. That's just not right.