Sunday, January 08, 2006

New record

You'll be noticing a small change at the end of posts for the foreseeable future. I used to put the last five songs on my iPod there. From now on, I'll post the album I'm listening to instead.

Why? Because I've been feeling a little detached from the music I've been listening to recently. I put the iPod on shuffle and it's just a wave of music washing over me. Which is nice, but it's a rare thing that I've been excited and energized by the music I've been listening to. It's become just background noise, and I never want music to be that for me.

I think this came to a head when I started looking at various year end lists and discovering I had an abnormally large number of the records on the lists. This was a rare thing for me during my days of listening to commercial radio. Unless a friend recommended a record, I tended to buy stuff that I liked playing in the radio. But once I got my iPod in September, 2004 I rarely listened to commercial radio anymore. For that matter, I think commercial radio is doomed inside 10 years, but that's for another post.

So I had to get new music from somewhere. I don't mind the bit of nostalgia music, but I need new stuff to listen to or else I get very, very bored. Which meant I was reading a lot more critics or finding music people were praising on blogs. That's how I was getting my new music.

Which is a good thing, I think. I have no problems with that. But getting my music that way, no longer paying much attention to popular singles and the iPod's shuffle function, meant I wasn't focusing on individual records that much. I would download a record and it would enter shuffle rotation. I still have stuff I got three months ago that I haven't listened to completely yet.

So I'm going to start listening more to individual records than a random shuffle. Hopefully that will energize me and get me to love some of the stuff I have right now a little more. Because I got to tell you, I've seen some of the stuff that's being released over the next three months and it's pretty grim. I better start loving what I have, because there's nothing good coming for awhile.

Currently playing on iPod
Aha Shake Heartbreak - Kings of Leon

No comments: