Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Late blessing

We're well into 2006 at this point (well, three days), so maybe a New Year's blessing is a bit late. But I read this one on the always entertaining and amusing blog of Neil Gaiman. He recycled it from one he gave in 2002, so I hope, on the off-chance he reads this, that he doesn't mind that I changed the dates to suit 2006.

May your 2006 be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in 2006, you surprise yourself.

It's as good a plan for 2006 as I've heard so far.

By the way, Gaiman's (along with Terry Prachett) Good Omens is being rereleased in hard cover next month. I'm already on my third copy of the book, as the previous books tended to disappear once I lent them to people. It is, quite simply, the funniest book I've ever read. And I've read all of Christopher Moore's books. And if you don't know who Moore is, then shame on you. Go to a book store right now and buy either Bloodsucking Fiends or Lamb and be prepared to have strangers stare at you oddly when you burst out laughing if you read it in public.

For those of you who have read Good Omens, then you might get a kick out of this: Crowley and Aziraphale's New Year's Resolutions.

Last 5 on iPod
1. Mudfootball - Jack Johnson (Brushfire Fairytale)
2. No beginning, no end - Hawksley Workman (Last Night, We Were the Delicious Wolves)
3. Tunnel of Love - Dire Straits (Best of)
4. Tickle Cove Pond - Great Big Sea (The Hard and the Easy)
5. Just the way you are - Billy Joel (Greatest Hits)

No comments: