Friday, May 19, 2006

Will you still need me...

Granted, I'm trying hard not to take a sick kind of pleasure over watching Paul and Heather McCartney's marriage disintergrate in public. I've been through a divorce (my parents) and no matter how amicable it is, there are still times when you're looking around utterly bewildered going "What the fuck?" an awful lot.

And lord knows headline writers have been having a field day with the split. If there's a Beatles song with the word "love" in the title, then they've either run it as a headline ("Can't Buy Me Love") or a play on a headline ("Love Me Don't" or "Will you still need me, will you still bleed me..."). And since Paul is worth an estimated $1.5 billion and there is apparently no prenuptual, well, this has the potential to get seriously weird before it's all over.

But what I have found interesting is the reaction. Not the one in Canada. If you read the comments section of the Globe and Mail, most people were jeering over it in light of the McCartneys coming to Canada and give us grief over the seal hunt. Oh, as a quick aside, you got to figure HSUS is reeling a bit over this. I'm sure they will still happily take Heather should she wish to come over to witness the seal hunt next year, but who they really want is Paul, because he brings lots and lots of media.

Anyway, during the McCartneys visit, and especially after the "debate" on Larry King Live there seemed to be one common consensus - that, my goodness, Heather seemed to be a remarkably...unpleasent women.

And then you read something like this and you get the feeling that the British must have been saying the whole time "Well, what took you so long? We've known that for ages." The British public, at least, is almost completely on Paul's side during the divorce.

Yes, it's tabloid fodder. And tabloids, instinctually, go for the worst possible scenario because it sells more headlines. So take it with a grain of salt. But more than one newspaper has been reporting that she's unpleasant and was - and I find this staggering to believe - jealous and perplexed as to why Paul was more popular and respected than she was.

Yeah, let's see...an ex-model and activist vs. one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century. Let me think, who would be more important... If that's true, that she didn't understand Paul's popularity, then there is something seriously not connected right in that woman's head.

Anyway, I'm sure this will be in the headlines for many more weeks or months. And as I said, at least the seal hunt gets a break. If Heather comes over to protest next year, I doubt there will be massive amounts of media in tow...

No comments: