Sunday, May 21, 2006

Puppies...really

So we got word last night that we are no longer the owner of a puppy fetus, but rather the owner of a real, live, honest-to-goodness puppy. Granted, it's going to be close to three months before we can take possession of the dog, but that's hasn't stopped Cathy from going around the apartment singing "Puppy!" all day. Please God, let us get this dog before my wife goes mad, or sends me there in her place.

Anyway, the breeder was kind enough to send us some newborn puppy photos. Don't be confused, these are actually dogs and not small white rats.



There are two females and one male here. No idea which is which. And really, if you can figure it out, then you much better at these sorts of things than you ought to be. We're requested the male, but we don't know if we will get him or not yet. I imagine we'll find out soon enough.



One last thing - more than one person has suggested that getting a dog is a warm-up to preparing to have children. We prefer to think of this dog as a warm-up to getting a Newfoundland Dog in a few years time when we head back down south. They might look like little white rats, but to me they still look cuter than your average newborn baby.

Which explains why it's probably not a good idea for me to have kids anytime in future.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope not as cute as a new born babie sorry though. They look about the size of my guniea pigs.

Anonymous said...

Yippee! I'm a godbitch! Awwww, looka the cute widdle puppies with pink feets and noses.... (OK, that's the extent of squealing you'll get out of me...until I see the little furry fella in person.)

Congratulations Cathy and Craig. BTW, what's the name of the surrogate mother?

towniebastard said...

You can actually go to the link below and see what the parents look like. Click on Coming Litters:

http://www.pickofthelitter.org/

I also found out today that this may or may not be our puppy. There is another litter being born this week. If we really want a male, we might have to wait until that litter. We won't know for another couple of months until the breeder assesses the pups.

Anonymous said...

Erm... I'd have to say that they ARE cuter than *every* newborn baby I've ever seen. My own definitively included. Without question, puppies have the cuteness factor down pat. Which is what keeps them alive....

Anonymous said...

Okay, perhaps the resolution or something on my screen is all screwed up and I'm not seeing these things correctly. When did the definition of "cute" include tiny blind crosses between rats and vietmanese potbellied pigs?

I mean I'm sure they WILL be cute someday soon, but would you go on a date with someone who looked like that?

The Mommy said...

Cute now, not realy, - give them about 5 weeks.

That said, congratulations on your first little firecracker...

towniebastard said...

Well Claire, I've always wondered how people could look at a new child, which in all probability looks like a minature Winston Churchill and go "Awww, how cute!"

I'm always perplexed by that. I keep thinking "Are we both looking at the same thing?"

Having said that, well, yes, they're not exactly going to win beauty paegents right now. But they're still cuter than a newborn baby. Hence the whole "I'm clearly not ready to be a father" arguement...

Anonymous said...

I checked the link, Craig and looked at the other litter.

Oh. My. God. So much fluffy roundbellied cuteness on one website. I take it back--there will be lots of very unprofessional girly squealing when I see pictures of the new (older) puppy.

towniebastard said...

Ummm, you didn't happen to fall asleep net to a pod or anything, did you? Because you're being far too girly for me to handle, Colette...

Anonymous said...

Hooboy, you are going to be greatly amused when I see the actual dog and melt into a puddle of babytalking goo.......I'm not proud of it but there, it's going to happen.