Friday, May 12, 2006

Photo Friday

I get zero feedback on the posts I put up with pictures, but what the hell...nothing like revisiting memory lane.

This was one of the very first pictures I took with my then brand new Sony DSC-F717. I was living in a great place on Bond Street. I still miss that apartment. One of the best places I ever lived in.

Anyway, I looked out the window on the third floor on a late August day and there was this guy, redoing his roof.



I took a bunch of photos, but this is the one that works the best. It's just the orange jumpsuit, with the Anglican Cathedral roof in the background. It just works for me.

I took the shot just because I thought it looked cool. It only dawned on me a few days later that The Express might like it. We ran it as a filler photo up front. A filler photo is basically what it sounds like. You have a space to fill on a page and no copy to go there. So voila, insert a photo. Or the page is too grey and you want a picture to break it up.

It was a matter of course that we took our cameras with us almost everywhere we went, just in case we saw a picture that we could use as filler. Needless to say, the staff of the Express while I was there always had very understanding spouses.

One other thing...the guy in the picture knocked on my door a few days after the picture ran in The Express. He wasn't upset, he just though it was pretty cool to see his picture in the paper. As for figuring out where I lived, he triangulated the angle of where he believed the photo had to have been shot from his point on the roof.

Bloody engineers...

Photo Copyright Craig Welsh and The Express.

Currently Playing
Sounds Like A Mosaic - Bedouin Soundclash

1 comment:

tanker belle said...

You don't get comments on photos because no one is arguing with you;) It is a fun shot.