Saturday, October 17, 2009

Oh well...

This whole going out and having to be sociable and doing things in public can be soooo exhausting. Thank God we don't do it very often.

(I kid, for those of you needing the extra hint).

We were going to start the day off hitting some yard sales, but apparently getting up and on the go for 9am was just too much to handle this morning, so that plan died a quick death. However, we did have an appointment to go and look at a house at 10am and we really couldn't blow off that one.

After we didn't get the last (and first ever) place we looked at, several very wise people told us that we had to go and look at a bunch of other houses, just so you can get an idea of what you get for the money being asked. That makes sense. What does a $400,000 house look like? What should you get for that place? You don't need to buy them or even be seriously looking, just go and get a feel for the places.

That makes sense. So we arranged to look at this house this morning and we're looking at a condo for sale on Monday. All part of the plan so that when we started doing a hard look for places next spring we would have a better idea of what we were in the market to buy.

Except we looked at a place today and Cathy really likes it so we're off to the races again.

I'm trying to be a bit more reserved. For one thing, I think it's significantly over-priced and at the very edge of what we can afford. It's also not on the Utilador in town, which gives me pause. But it's a nice house, looks pretty solid and does have a bit of a view of the bay, which I like.

I guess I would feel more comfortable with all of this if I had a job. Although there is some small progress on that front as I have an interview this week. Not sure how that's going to play out, but we shall see. Prayers and sacrificial goats/lambs/virgins, as always, will be appreciated.

Next up was the $5 book a bag sale at the library. We walked out with several bags of books, so we should be good on the Chapters front for several months. Well, at least until after Christmas. There was a good turnout, although I don't know how much of a dent they made in the books they were trying to get rid of. They had a lot to try and get clear of between their own remaindered books and the donations people had given them.

I suggested a bonfire in front of the building to clear out the leftover books. It was suggested that perhaps that might not be the best image for the library to be putting forward to the general public. Oh well.

And then we had the big Cape Dorset print sale. I was trying to convince Cathy that the caribou print from the previous blog post would make a fine addition to our walls, but she really wasn't going for it. There was a whale print she liked quite a bit, but we both agreed it was far too large. Moot point on both cases anyway. Her whale was the first one to go and my caribou was the fourth or fifth one to be selected.

The crowd was huge this year, compared to other years, but I don't think it was a complete sell out. There were still two or three prints that didn't go, including one of Kenojuak Ashevak's. Granted, it was huge and cost $1,400, but it was still a bit surprising.

I've made my peace with not getting the print I wanted. At first I was tempted to go and talk to the curator to see if he could get a copy of the print from another gallery if it didn't sell out or asking someone from Cape Dorset to get it for me when they do their print sale. But the fact is, Cathy didn't love it as much as I did and when it comes to major pieces of art that you hang on your walls, it's helpful if both people like it. I can perhaps get away with a couple of pieces of art that Cathy doesn't care much for, but you have to use those times (art credits, for lack of better phrasing) up very carefully, and I don't think this was a print worth blowing one of those credits on.

Besides, I'll be hitting the Emma Butler Gallery when I go back to St. John's to see if I can find a nice David Blackwood for myself. That's an artist worth blowing one of those art credits on (Cathy hates Blackwood).

And that's our busy and eventful day. One in which we did a fair bit and spent $10. We should be so lucky on most days. Of course, if we end up buying that house, I think this could have been perhaps the most expensive day of our lives. So we'll see how it all pans out.

Last Five
1. Photograph - Weezer*
2. Old enough - The Raconteurs
3. Dull life - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
4. Falling star - Jet
5. The prayer - Bloc Party

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with the interview and the house. As expensive as it might seem, it has to be better than losing rent money every month to the GN.

Morena said...

I love the caribou one too. I'm going to go to the sale here in Dorset if you change your mind. After I get the one I want of course. I kind of like the 'harp seals' but I want to check it out in person before I decide. Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the interview and the house situation. Having dealt with those over the summer months I know how it can twist you in many directions. Lisa and I are still trying to let go of a fantastic house we saw in Ontario over the summer. Great place for a family but just not realistic to our current situation. Hope things work out for you.

Mel said...

I love seeing your music list at the end of your blog posts, however I then want to download them but am scared to death of going over my allotted internet use, just wondering if you do much downloading of music and if you know how much a song off itunes eats up for internet use? I have Slip Sliding Away stuck in my head since you posted it on your list. Tks

Jordan~Stephanie said...

i'm sad i missed the print sale. i haven't been able to beat this cold yet and have to be back at work tomorrow. which kenojuak print was left?! i was thisclose to heading over and putting my name in for the 'grand dame' print - jordan even left me his bank card before he went to work! sadly, my cold and good sense got the best of me. it's probably best not to drop $1400 on art after 2 months up here :)
good luck with the interview!

towniebastard said...

I'm pretty sure the "Grand Dame" went pretty early. I think the only Kenojuak print left is the one with ravens.

We were tempted to go and knock on your door to drag you down, but Jordan said you were pretty sick.

If you still want one, you can go down and look at them and then contact the Cape Dorset gallery. They can probably get someone to put your name in as a proxy. The prices will be the same.

towniebastard said...

Mel, sorry, I forgot to answer your question. We have a 10gig cap on our internet,although that's not to say we don't blow past it some months.

The size of a song depends on its length and the quality of file recording. But I think it's safe to say your average song is between 3-6 mb. I've downloaded albums that have taken anywhere from 50 to 100 mb.

You can judge accordingly.

Dooner said...

Anyone interested in Dorset Prints should check out their back inventory:
http://www.dorsetfinearts.com/inventoryprints.html

Lots of excellent stuff from previous years, and since prices go up every year, the older stuff is less expensive.