Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Journey through the centre of the Earth

So I saw a neat little thing on John Gushue's blog the other day. It's a little gadget that shows if you dig straight through the earth where you would end up on the other side of the globe.

Now, he's already did St. John's. I confess, I thought if you went straight through I thought you would end up somewhere between Australia and Tasmania. Seems I was off by a few thousand kilometres, as it's actually a bit to the west of that.

So it does beg the question, if I were to dig down from Iqaluit, where would I end up? Well, in not much better shape if I was digging from St. John's.



Not a nice place to end up, when you think about it. If you're curious about where you would end up and if you went digging through the globe (and assuming you weren't melted or crushed) you can go here and play with the gadget and see where you end up. Odds are if you're in Nunavut it's going to be the ocean or Antarctica. But you never know.

Last Five
1. A day in the life - The Beatles
2. So she's leaving - The Trews*
3. Under my thumb - Rolling Stones
4. Gone gone gone - Robert Plant and Allison Krauss
5. The guitar - They Might Be Giants

4 comments:

Jordan~Stephanie said...

antarctica huh? so you're saying that even if we were to dig directly under iqaluit to the other side of the globe, it would basically make no difference whatsoever.
life sure is swell :)

WJM said...

There's also this cool map, which superimposes the surface of the earth over its antipodean points.

Given that nearly three quarters of the surface is ocean, there's very little in the way of land-to-land antipodean matchups to be had.

Hallett said...

Step away from the computer...

towniebastard said...

My wife has been telling me that for years and it hasn't worked yet.