Monday, October 19, 2009

A late evening assortment

I'm cutting it close today in getting a blog post out today, but the original idea I had (one on how a recent report cited Canada as being very poor when it comes to the Internet) just didn't want to jell properly. It kept veering off track into a rant on the possibility of a federal election. Which, let's face it, is a pretty boring topic right now. Maybe it will come together tomorrow.

So, let's see what else we have today:

1. We went and looked at a condo today. Much to my relief, we immediately agreed that it wasn't the place for us. Simply too small, especially when it came to the bedrooms. I was beginning to worry that we were so wrapped up in house fever that it was over-riding our higher brain functions. But no, we can find a place that we don't want. Thank God.

2. It's after 11 p.m. as I type this and the final results for the Iqaluit City Council results still aren't in. The mayor results are in and Elisapee Sheutiapik won. Not really a surprise, but I think it was probably closer than some expected. However, the results from the councillor race still aren't in. I swear to God, I could be the only one there, drunk and only using an abacus and I could have the results in faster than this. This is just silly.

3. And for no particular reason, I throw in this quote from a Rolling Stone magazine I'm currently reading (It's the one with U2 on the cover. Oh, and Matt Taibbi's article on Wall Street should be mandatory reading). The quote I like actually comes from a little blurb on the band Gaslight Anthem, who has a new record coming out next year.

Now, I like the band. I thought The '59 Sound was a pretty good record, but how is this for an awesome quote from lead singer Brian Fallon when describing how the new record sounds. "The songs sound like Tom Waits' storytelling and the Clash playing as a band, but with some big Motown-style choruses in there."

Is that not the mostly awesomely full of shit rock band quote you've heard recently? I like the band. Hell, that even sounds a bit interesting. But still, really?

Anyway, more tomorrow.

Last Five
1. Peaceful valley - Ryan Adams and the Cardinals
2. My city of ruins (live) - Bruce Springsteen*
3. Bang! - The Raveonettes
4. Ready, able - Grizzly Bear
5. Believe in me - Sloan

No comments: