Wednesday, March 08, 2006

So very wrong...

I know I shouldn't, I really do. But talking about comics and seals tripped this particular memory, buried deep in my brain. And this is one of my all-time favourite comic book covers from a quiet gem of a series. This particular story has a mad scientist killing all the creatures at an aqaurium and then using his special gas to resurrect them all. The characters on the cover have to go through zombie penguins, sharks, and yes, seals, in order to escape.

From there you have the classic "Zombie Night at the Gotham Aquarium." Stupid? Oh absolutely. Funny? Quite possibly one of the funniest comics I've ever read. Providing you can handle the violence, of course....

5 comments:

Stephen Eli Harris said...

Huge comic fan, not so much DC. I'm a marvelite myself. That is a pretty darn cool cover though, I gotta admit.

Stephen

Anonymous said...

Ah Hitman, a fine series. The "hand" removal scene in that issue priceless.

towniebastard said...

I tend to sample most of the major publishers. I used to be a "Marvel Zombie" growing up, then I read The Dark Knight Returns and gave DC a shot.

I feel guilty that I don't read more indies, but really, unless you live in a major centre, or surf the net a lot, it's hard to know what's good and where to get it. The stores in town are pretty good, but they certainly do focus on their super heroes and manga.

And yeah, Jason, the hand removal was excellent. DC really screwed up in not releasing the entire series in TPB. It would drive me nuts...if I didn't have all the originals.

Anonymous said...

Only real indies I read start out as small indies then become mainstream, ie, Queen and Country, BPRD, Invincible, Powers (before Marvel).

Hence I now go out and try to find an author I hear is good. Then find their books,like Greg Rucka. Latest find has been Charlie Huston.

Stephen Eli Harris said...

I'm so caught up in the Marvel Universe that I find it almost impossible to read something other than. I'd feel like I'm cheating or something.

Stephen