Friday, February 24, 2006

Mmmmmmm....golden goodness



What a fantastic, absolutely brilliant, but completely bizarre game. More than once I looked at the Finnish skip and wondered what the hell he was thinking. I mean, he was calling rec league, fuck around shots. Don't get me wrong, the Gushue team curled a great game and it was nice to see Mark Nichols just nail everything he was asked to. He's the reason they won both of those play-off games. Anytime you have a third who shoots mid-90s in those kinds of games, you're going to win unless the skip is a completely screw-up.

But seriously, Uusipaavalniemi (the Finnish skip) had to have been on drugs to have called some of the shots he did. It was like "I've made it to the gold medal game, I wasn't suppose to, so I'm just going to shag around." Stunningly weird shot calling. And you can call the weird shots, but you have to make them. And obviously he wasn't.

But hey, props to the guys. They weren't suppose to win the Olympic Trials and once they did, there was a fair amount of snark, especially from Western Canada, about how they were going to choke. That's a lot of pressure to live up to and they did.

Anyone care to lay a bet on how long it's going to take Danny Williams to give the team the Order of Newfoundland and Labrador? By the end of 2007, at the latest. They're going to be Gods for the next few years.

(And no, you shouldn't ask how I managed to see the game today. It required some juggling to do work and watch the game at the same time.)

You know, I've been pretty happily settled in Nunavut the past six months (the anniversary was yesterday). I've got Cathy here, I like my new job and the weather isn't as bad as originally advertised. But I would have given serious money to have been in St. John's to watch the game today. And good money to be Downtown this evening. It's going to be a long time before we'll see a party like that again in St. John's.

Currently Playing
Songs About Jane - Maroon 5

No comments: