Saturday, February 11, 2006

Love is cold

I was out doing some last minute Valentine's Day shopping today. I boasted for years that V-day was one of my favourite days of the year. Because beneath the crusty, bitter, cynical exterior shell lies, well, a softer, bitter, cynical interior. But somewhere deeper than that that is the chewy core of a romantic. Honest.

I've enjoyed doing this for years. When I had girlfriends I tended to go all out - flowers, dinner and gift of some kind, plus some sort of surprise. Even when I didn't have a girlfriend, I tended to do these kinds of things. When I was in Korea I sent a dozen roses to two of my female friends - Tiffany and Andrea. If I recall properly, Andrea cursed me out for doing something so sweet and ruining a perfectly good rotten mood she had building up for Valentine's Day.

So you would figure for Cathy I would go all out. But the last two years she has kicked my ass. Last year I was feeling down because we were apart. But yet, she managed to get me a great gift (The Complete Far Side). The year before, I just plain screwed up. It was the weekend of the East Coast Music Awards in St. John's. So I spent most of the weekend running around taking photos and catching bands. I imagine it wasn't much fun for her.

But I've got it covered this year. I think I'm in pretty good shape for the big day. She should be happy.

However, I did get a reminder today of how lucky I am to have someone.

Most of my friends will recall I really, really didn't enjoy the whole single experience. I hated it and I'm glad I never have to do it again. Others, of course, are still single and Valentine's Day must be a nuisance for them.

But just imagine being single in a small, isolated northern town. I'm actually kind of curious about the number of people who are single here and the breakdown of single men to women. I know it can be horrific in some place, with men out numbering women 5 to 1 in some places. I don't think it's that bad here, however.

Fortunately, one of the local coffee shops - Fantasy Palace (don't go there, the jokes have already been made) - is offering something to help all those lonely singles in Iqaluit. Speed Dating! Yes, because it wasn't horrific and terminally embarrassing enough down south, bringing it to Iqaluit must add a whole new layer of hell to the experience.

I saw that sign today and thought to myself "I love my wife so very, very, very much." Then I went and bought her something else. Because really, I'd do pretty much anything to eliminate even the slimest risk that I might have to go and do something like that. Ever.

Currently Playing
Plans - Death Cab For Cutie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Craig, think I will congratuate you on being such a romantic at heart. Now if only I could train my husband to be that way. Maybe I should send him to you for some lessons.... lol. Wishing you and Cathy have a wonderful Valentine's Day !