Sunday, December 13, 2009

House warmed

One of my goals for this year was to try and post 365 times during the run of the year. I knew I wasn't going to be able to post every day, but I figured there were would be some days where I would double post and make up for the slack. I was doing pretty good right up until I went to Toronto last month. Then there was moving into a new home. And I'm sure the upcoming trip to St. John's will do little to improve that ratio. So I should break 350 posts, but barring a massive creative writing spurt, I'm hosed on the 365.

This is a long way of saying I didn't post yesterday because of the prep for the housewarming we had last night. Because it is very, very important that no dirt be found anywhere in the house when we have people over. Anyway, it was a nice time, we had a nice mix of people show up to ooh and ahh over the house. It's silly, but it's always reaffirming when people show up and tell you your house is nice.

We had some of Cathy's co-workers, some people from curling and even someone who follows along on the blog. I've met her a few times before, but only in passing. So it was nice to get the chance to sit down and have a proper chat. Plus, she's a neighbour, which is cool.

I'd say the weirdest thing about the party was that we seemed to end up with more booze than what we already had. Oh, the beer we had disappeared, but people brought wine to give us. Which is a fair swap in our books as we don't really like beer, but kind of like wine. So that works.

The other bit of weirdness is that I keep giving people the wrong address. I keep getting the number to the house mixed up. No idea why. We've been here almost two weeks now and I keep making the same mistake. This is mildly embarrassing and thankfully when I make these mistakes, like say when I put it in a status update on Facebook, my friends don't spend a dozen posts mocking me for this....

....yeah, right. Anyway, I'd like to apologize to Jaap and Charlotte who, you know, drove all the way to Iqaluit from the San Francisco area only to be sent to the wrong address. My face is red over that. Although this does bring home a point, as it were. We can now have friends stay here if they want. Oh, I understand that very, very few, if any, will ever come up for a visit. But we at least have a room and a bed for them now as opposed to a couch. So the invite is open to friends who have, oh, an extra $1500 or so to burn should you find yourself in Ottawa....come on up!

And no, you can't drive. Sorry.

Last Five
1. You can do better than me - Death Cab For Cutie
2. Your bruise - Death Cab For Cutie
3. Blue lips - Regina Spektor
4. Love anyway - The Waterboys
5. Silver palomino - Bruce Springsteen

2 comments:

tanker belle said...

Your house *is* nice. And that feeling keeps going. Even though we are just living in a rental, the fact that it's way nicer that the last place makes me happy. It's makes living in AD easier.

Anonymous said...

Heh heh.

(Melissa frantically packs suitcase with one hand and types with the other)

See you guys soon!!!

I wish. :) Maybe Hayden and I will come visit you someday!~