Sunday, October 22, 2006

Switchpod

I'm still not sure I'm using Switchpod the way I'm supposed to. I think I'm supposed to record a broadcast and all that jazz instead of loading up three songs and talking about them. But the hell with it. I don't think anyone is going to complain.

Anyway, first up is Colleen Power. I've got OM pretty addicted to her even though she's only heard a few songs. But this one is cute as well. Considering all the times OM had to go up the road mentioned in the song (not to mention probably dealing with crazy obsessive friends over the years) I thought she might get a kick out of it.

Torbay Road

Covering Gordon Lightfoot is a dicey prospect under the best of circumstances. Covering "Sundown" is probably second only to "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" in terms of foolishness. But if you're Ron Sexsmith, you get a lot of leeway. And this is a good cover.

Sundown

Tom Waits has a new record coming out next month and I've already heard one of the songs. It already sounds better than anything off his last three records, so that's a good sign. This is a basically a bootleg. Several years ago he appeared on VH1 Storytellers. Bizarrely, there was no CD released from the concert. However, bootlegs are in no short supply online. This is one of my favourites from it. Also, every song comes with a story. It's well worth hunting down if you can find it.

Hang Down Your Head

No comments: