Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Gasping to the finish

Well, I've played the sick dog card, and I've played the "It's my birthday" card and now I'm down to my last one, the "I'm actually sick and fighting a cold" card, which I expect to work about as well as the other two have, which is to say not well at all.

Still, we're sprinting to the finish line in the Nunavut Blogging Awards and like a wheezing, first-time marathon runner, I'm just trying to reach the finish line. I had brief hopes of winning the Best Blog Award as, up until last night, I was in second place in voting and doggedly remaining within about eight votes of Jen. But then finding a burst of energy Kate just blew past all of us. She's leading me, as I write this, by about 20 votes and Jen by 12. And hell, Kennie isn't that far behind me either.

As for Jackie, well, she's in last, but is currently relaxing in a resort in Mexico. I'll let you figure out who is actually "losing" in this contest.

All in all, it's been a fun race. More than 200 people have voted, which is great to see. And the only other observation I will add to the Best Blog race is this...yesterday I had approximately 250 unique visitors with more than 120 returning visitors, according to Statcounter. Yet, I only have 46 votes. It means I have untapped reserves, just waiting to help carry me over the finish line, right?

Oh, and as for the Best Blog Post category, I though I had a bit of a lead, but Darcy is closing in quickly. So that's no certainty either.

You know, once this is over, I think that's it for me grovelling for votes for awhile. Oh wait, Iqaluit is having a municipal election later this year, isn't it? Hmmmm...

Last Five
1. Fortress around your heart - Sting*
2. Put your records on (live) - Corinne Bailey Rae
3. Skeleton song - Kate Nash
4. Hit me baby, one more time - Bowling For Soup
5. Baby, now that I've found you (live) - Allison Krauss and Union Station

3 comments:

Kate Nova said...

Wait, hold the phone...er...typepad. Are you thinking of running for council????! Way cool.

towniebastard said...

I think that would be classified as humour, Kate. Even if I had any interest in running, there's no chance I could win.

Unknown said...

a tie!!!