Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Slow roll out

We're getting some media coverage about the Mixed Nationals, but not as much as I would have hoped for, given the unique venue for the event. But I imagine it will gradually roll out. There's a lot of stuff going on right now, what with the Arctic Winter Games drawing most people's attention in Nunavut, and the Brier captivating most of the attention in the curling world right now. Plus, we have months to build up the excitement around this event.

For those curious, here is the press release about the event.

Nothing else much really to report, other than these two other things., completely non-curling related bits of news:

1. Dave Stevens died of leukemia. Who, you might ask? Well, he was a top notch illustrator, the creator of the Rocketeer. You might remember the movie from back in the early 90s. I bought it late last year, because I remembered liking it when it first came out, but was curious to see how it aged. It holds up pretty well, really. And I remember liking the comics quite a bit at the time. I think I have some of the comics still back in St. John's in storage. It would be nice if someone came out with a collected edition of all his Rocketeer work. There's some fun stories and great art that Stevens put out.

2. And now for something completely silly. I include this because, sadly, I am a big enough geek on stuff like this. And we rewatched the movie a few weeks ago and I caught myself wondering the exact same thing - exactly how much time passes during The Empire Strikes Back? This guy wonders the same thing. I have no idea, but the movie makes it seem like it might only be a week or two, but really, it could easily be a year or more.

Last Five
1. Three little indians - Mark Bragg
2. Santiago de Cuba - The Chieftains*
3. Find your grail - Spamalot OST
4. The ballad of John and Yoko - The Beatles
5. It's only love - The Beatles

4 comments:

Chris Windeyer said...

Geez, we're a weekly. Be patient!

Anonymous said...

Hosting the mixed curling championships IS exciting news, and I don't even like curling. I don't hate it, just not all that excited about it. Oddly, I don't mind reading about it on your blog. You write well.

I hope it goes well. Have fun with the planning/preparations.

towniebastard said...

Oh, I'm patient with the local media. They're my friends...;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, look ...its the curling channel, Marg! :^)