Saturday, January 01, 2011

For the new year

So that's it for 2010. Judging by the amount of venting I saw on Facebook among my friends, more than one of them was glad to see the arse end of the year go out the door. For me, 2010 was an odd year, but certainly nothing as deeply weird as 2009. That year saw me essentially get laid off (downer), go to Australia (upper), have unemployment continue longer than I thought (downer), buy a house (upper now, pretty stressful at the time) and take part in a national curling championship (upper).

This year started off hopeful with the promise of a new job, went dramatically downhill when that new job turned out to be a very poor match for me, that job ending and then another one beginning. But after that rocky start things settled in nicely. The new job is one that fits really quite well. After reluctance in buying the house I am now glad that we did. Having our own home without having to worry about being too noisy for the neighbours, or cigarette smoking sneaking in through a ventilation system.

There was no epic vacation like Australia or Italy, but we did go to Florida.

So what's the grand plan for 2011? I think I'm going to stick to vague rather than specifics. Those resolutions trip you up and end up making you feel bad about yourself with they almost inevitably fail. So my resolution? Do better than you did in 2010.

And I shall do my best.

As for the rest of you, I shall borrow from a much better writer than myself, and quote Neil Gaiman's New Year's benediction.

May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.

Cheers to 2011, my friends. Wherever in the world you may be...

Last Five
1. All I want is you - U2*
2. Pride (In the name of love) - U2
3. Shame on you - Hot Hot Heat
4. The frown song - Ben Folds
5. Somewhere else - Kathleen Edwards

3 comments:

merlyn said...

same back to you! happy new one.

cheers
Fiona

Anonymous said...

Happy new Year to you and Cathy! May 2011 is filled with lots of joy and happiness!

ocean

John Mutford said...

Happy new year to you and Cathy.