Monday, January 03, 2011

A delay in lists

For those wondering how the apocolypse is faring, it still remains pretty mild. It's 1C right now. The pouring rain has stopped (seriously pouring. It was disrupting satellite signals earlier which was probably driving people nuts trying to watch the Canada vs. US game. However, as I don't like hockey, I'm pretty zen) and now a pea soup fog familiar to anyone who has ever lived in downtown St. John's has settled in on Iqaluit. The end of the world is damp. And mucky. Should the world not end in the next few days, then it's going to be icy as hell up here.

And yes, you may have noticed I have posted for the first three days of 2011. It's a miracle! I wouldn't get used to this trend continuing, however.

One thing I normally do at the end of the year or the beginning of the new year is to do some of my Top 10 lists. I noticed Clare popped up his Top 10 records of the year. In my defence, I have good reasons for the lack of Top 10 lists.

First, I don't watch 10 tv shows. I watched eight series in the past year - Chuck, House, Castle, Republic of Doyle, Bones, Fringe, Amazing Race and The Closer. If I had to pick a favourite it would be Fringe. And if I had to pick a favourite episode it would have been "White Tulip" from Fringe, perhaps the single greatest time travel episode I've ever seen. And I include "Yesterday's Enterprise" and the Trek episode where they blew up the Enterprise about a dozen times (It's "Cause and Effect" and it was four times, before someone corrects me.)

As for movies, I haven't seen all the 2010 movies yet. While I'm reasonably sure Tron: Legacy isn't going to make the final cut, I am curious about Black Swan, The King's Speech and True Grit. So I don't feel like making a decision on that list yet either.

As for music, well, I've hit a hitch there. I've been going through so many end of the year lists I've been gathering a ton of new music to listen to. So I'm trying to go through about 20 new records I've downloaded in the past couple of weeks. I'll produce a list....eventually.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my friend Jaap posted his Top 10 records of the year today, and I have to download a bunch of them. Jaap normally has pretty good taste in music. Except for Kayne. I've got nothing there...

Last Five
1. Strawberry fields forever - Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies
2. In the morning - Norah Jones
3. England - The National*
4. Stella was a diver - Interpol
5. I'm only sleeping - The Beatles

No comments: