Sunday, October 26, 2008

Book writing

Is it weird that the premier and a campaign worker showed up at our apartment this evening, asked us to make sure we got out and voted, and then gave Cathy a hat and a reusable shopping bag, both with his name on them?

Maybe it isn't. I'm just saying, I think it's a little weird.

Not much else to write about today. I've been focusing on editing the book today and I find it hard to be creative on the blogging front and creative on the novel front at the same time. I've got 13 chapters completed. And by completed I mean written, edited on the screen, printed off and editing on the page. I have 24 chapters written so far.

Why mention the book again? Well, I have a plan. Well, another new plan at any rate. As many of you may know, the first of November starts National Novel Writing Month. I've done that successfully once before...some of you may recall my ill-fated and terrible werewolf novel.

The plan this year isn't to start a new book, although I have ideas for about six different books right now. No, the idea is to finish this book by the end of November. All of it. Write the ending, edit it and be over and done with this book by the end of November. That's not exactly the goal of National Novel Writing Month, but I figure as long as you finish a book, no matter if you've already started it, then you've still achieved something.

So that's it. "Paper Trails" will be done by November 30. I'm sure I can keep picking at it long after that, but at some point you have to send your baby out in the world. And that's where she's going in early December. I might wait until January as I'm not sure many publishers are looking at new books right before Christmas.

And then we will see.

But yeah, I'll try and do some updates on how the book is going during November. I might even, if people ask nicely, put up an excerpt or two. And hey, if any of you want to start putting book excerpts up on your blog, I'd love to read them

Last Five
1. Darlington County (live) - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
2. Boys - The Beatles
3. 48 hours - Sean Panting*
4. Star witness - Neko Case
5. I am sound - The Dandy Warhols

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Craig, looking forward to it!

Anonymous said...

I 2nd Dups - way to go! Great goal - I can't wait to read it!