Friday, September 05, 2008

Homeward

And now a step back from US politics...well, for the moment anyway. God only knows when the story about why Palin's husband's ex-business partner suddenly felt the urge to try and get his divorce papers sealed yesterday will break out...

Anyway, I mentioned before that I might be going back to Newfoundland in October and now I can confirm that. I land late on October 2, fly out early on October 12 to Ottawa where I'm hoping to catch up with an old friend and her new daughter, then back up here on October 13, with a day to spare so I can vote in the federal election.

There are several reasons for the trip home now. It would have been nice to do it over the summer or over Christmas, but for logistical reasons that wasn't possible. I'd like to see my parents. It's been suggested that I might want to see my grandparents since if I was planning on waiting (the original idea might not have seen me back in St. John's until Christmas 2009), well, they're both over 80 and have had some health problems in recent years.

Also, I have to deal with my comic books. As some might recall, I'm a collector and I have lots. How many? Best estimate puts the total around 10,000. They're currently sitting in boxes in my father's basement. Last time I was home he had bottles of homemade wine stored on top of them. So yeah, something needs to be done about that.

That means going through the collection, tossing out stuff that is too damaged or absolutely worthless (The Godzilla vs. Charles Barkley? Pretty sure I can lose that one) and getting it reorganized and put into new storage boxes. Which is a bit of work. Cathy has her concerns about my ability to do this as she rightly points out that I tend to get distracted (Cool, my Garth Ennis Hitman run....ooooh, my Ostander/Mandrake Spectre run, etc....). But as I only have a limited amount of time to get them reorganized and moved to a new storage place, I'll just have to bear down.

The other thing, of course, is that it would be nice to see some friends while in town. So if you're around town and would like to meet up for a drink, meal, etc, drop me a line and we'll try and arrange something.

It'll be nice to get home again. And really, fall has always been my favourite time in St. John's. It's when the city looks its best.

Of course, it dawns on me that I'll be there in the middle of the federal election campaign, so my beautiful city will be plastered with gaudy campaign posters and signs. sigh

One good thing about Iqaluit, we're not likely to see many campaign signs and posters. At least I didn't during the last election. Then again, the election was held in January, I believe. Not many people want to be out putting up signs in -40. So maybe it will be different for an October election. Here's hoping it won't be. There is something to be said about the idea of elections with no signs...

Last Five
1. Start me up - The Rolling Stones
2. Hungry like the wolf - Reel Big Fish*
3. If I ever lose my faith in you - Sting
4. Blacklisted (live) - Neko Case
5. If Venice is sinking - Spirit of the West

2 comments:

Chris Windeyer said...

Uh, Godzilla vs. Charles Barkley? Dude, can I have that?

towniebastard said...

Assuming I haven't tossed it already (I've bought some embarrassing comics in my day, but none really top that), I'll do my best to put it aside and bring it back up north. I prefer it having a "loving" home than end up in the trash.