Sunday, January 13, 2008

Performances

No, I'm not dead. The cold persists longer than I would have liked, but that's not the reason I haven't been around. I'm trying to spend a little less time on the computer these days and a bit more with my wife. Of course, that will be put to the test now that I finally have Windows running properly on the Mac and have managed to get Civilizations IV running like it is supposed to. It's actually running better than when I had it set up on Cathy's old Toshiba laptop. Go figure.

So yeah, part of this weekend was spent with Cathy. The other part was spent immersing myself in the joy that comes with destroying Civilizations. That hasn't left much time for blogging.

Although we did manage to get out and see a movie last night - I Am Legend. Cathy's still a bit mad with me over that one. She doesn't like scary movies and I thought it was going to be more action oriented than it was. She's still pretty upset about the scene with the dog.

I did like it, but more the first two-thirds than the last one-third, where it kind of goes off the rails a bit for me. But really, that's a pretty decent acting performance by Will Smith. That's about some of the best acting you're going to see in a zombie/action/horror movie.

Speaking of good acting performances, I like this story about Gordon Pinsent and the Oscars. He has virtually no chance of being nominated, let along winning. Nominations are as much about money and politics as they are the quality of performance, and Pinsent doesn't appear to have many in his corner with money or influence, despite the near universal acclaim over how well he did in Away From Her. But you can't help but like how modest he is and how genuinely touched he is the nice words Daniel Day-Lewis has to say about him. Both men are class acts.

Anyway, health providing I'll try and post more over the next few days.

2 comments:

Chris Windeyer said...

I had to delete Civ IV from my hard drive, because it's too good.

towniebastard said...

That may well end up being its fate with me. I doubt Cathy wants to be a Civ widow this year.