Saturday, September 30, 2006

Banned books and imaginary libraries

I knew there was something I was forgetting this week. It is, in fact, just about over as I post this, but it's still worth mentioning. While it's being marked by the American Library Association, it still merits attention here in Canada. This is Banned Books Week. It's not so much a celebration of book banning, as it is a warning that there is an unfortunately large percentage of the population that wants to ban certain books. The target is libraries right now, but one gets the feeling if they had their way there would be bonfires in the town square, and people would be throwing in copies of the offending books. Like a scene from Indian Jones and the Last Crusade.

You can go here for more information. And yes, I've ranted about this before, but there is something about people trying to ban books that really annoys me. Plus, I love libraries. I don't go to them that often, you understand, but it's not because I don't love them. I'm just trying to build my own, which you would understand if you could see my Visa bill and the number of times Chapters or Amazon is mentioned.

My dream is to have my own house with a nice big room just for myself. Some guys would want to have a shed for their stuff, or their tools. I just want a room where I can put all my books, comics and pictures that Cathy hates. Once I get this imaginary house with this imaginary room, I'm buying a David Blackwood print. If I'm rich, I might try a Barbara Pratt. And if I'm really wealthy perhaps even something by the sure to be ridiculous rich and famous Mireille Sampson. Oooohhh, and a kickass Mac with one of the 24 inch screens. Mmmmmm...

Of course, my wife will never see me again, which will pose a problemÂ…

(Note - Cathy says I can have this room and never be seen again as long as this imaginary house has hardwood floors, a kitchen large enough for a table and a dishwasher, a washroom with a deep bath that has jets, two sinks in the bathroom, and a bedroom that could fit a queen size bed. And lots of Ikea. It's entirely possible that this small apartment might break us before we're all said and done with the North.)

Anyway, I want my own library, but I still have a fondness for them. I practically grew up in the library in Virginia Park. The librarians were great people who encouraged me to read and while they might raise the occasional eyebrow (I was checking out Stephen King books at 11) they never gave me any grief. So attempts to mess with them annoy me.

So put up the link on your blog, or talk about some of your favourite books that apparently piss people off or even buy something from the ALA to help support them. Don't let the bastards winÂ…

1 comment:

Edward Hollett said...

Just remember though that the room is all you'll get. Over the threshold of your sanctuary and you'll in the Land of She Who Must be Obeyed.