Friday, September 22, 2006

300

I was trying to figure out what to write about today. I've been on a bit of a roll with blog ideas recently. It happens. You're magically bursting with crap you just need to share with the world. But I knew the whole being able to post twice a day was going to wear out sooner or later.

Although I do have a couple of things rattling around, they're just not ready for blogging yet. Then I heard about the trailer for 300 leaked online today. (It'll give Nancy some scantily clad men to drool over as I recall she liked the set diaries...)

Now, 300 is going to be an interesting movie. And I think it's going to boil down to this. If you liked Sin City, you'll like this movie. If you hated Sin City, then you're not going to like this movie. It's very stylized and is based on a graphic novel by the same writer/artist of Sin City - Frank Miller.

300 is the story of the 300 Spartans that stood against the Persians in Ancient Greece, thereby saving Greece and Western civilization itself, if you believe some historians. It's a great story and I highly recommend Miller's graphic novel. It's among his best works, and really, for someone like Miller, that's saying something. Along with Sin City, Miller wrote some of the defining Batman stories and reinvented Daredevil. Most of the good bits that you saw in the Batman movies, and definitely in the Daredevil movie, came from Miller's comics.

Anyway, go here if you want to see a trailer, that is of admittedly shaky quality. It may or may not still be there as Warner Brothers has been working mighty hard today threatening people if they fail to remove it. I suspect the reason for it is the special effects are not complete, which is one of the reasons why it might look a little wonky.

Still, I'm intrigued and it looks remarkably faithful to the source material. It'll give me something to look forward to in March.

3 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

How could anyone possibly have hated Sin City? I thought it was mostly great, but only touched the surface of the possibility of Frank Miller's works on the big screen .. 300 is just gonna be incredible!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm not just interested in tits and ass!

I can see why Warner wants the trailer down. Mother of God, that's a lot of footage.

The graphic novel was incredible and this film is in keeping with its vision.

And... ahem... yes, the scantily clad men.

towniebastard said...

I was hesistant on how good this was going to be, but it definitely has potential. And Helmut, it's ok to admit you're in it for the tits and ass...;)

And Reel, there were people who disliked Sin City. And as much as I loved it, I'll be the first to admit that most of the acting was crap. Only Mickey Rourke didn't sound like he was trying to chew on the dialogue. CLive Owen was particularly bad for it.

And, well, we all know why Alba was cast.

But I do have concerns about the Sin City sequel. Part of the appeal of the movie was that people had never seen anything like that movie before. Now that they have, they'll be focusing less on the visuals and more on the acting, dialogue and story. Which could be risky...