Monday, July 24, 2006

Tired

What a long weekend...and not in the best sense.

No surprise that I hate moving. Most of the planet does unless you have the money to hire professionals to do it all for you. Which, alas, we don't. So the weekend was spent taking things down from walls, unplugging, folding, spindling, mutilating and whatever else it is you do when ripping apart an apartment and trying to condense it into boxes.

It's taken the better part of two days. The movers are late arriving this morning (mechanical problems) to heft the heavy or awkward stuff that won't fit into a Hyundai Accent (although you can fit a surprising amount in one of those wee cars). However, since they're charging an equally hefty rate per hour, I felt it was best to move as much of it as I could on my own.

So I ache because I'm just a tiny bit out of shape. I'm exhausted. And not just from all the work. I got little sleep last night. Apparently the lunatics decided to come out, so there was one bunch screaming for about 30 minutes or so and another woman was screaming "Fuck you, Albert!" at the top of her lungs for at least an hour at 3 a.m. I'd be impressed with the vocal performance and stamina if I hadn't want to crack open ooone of the boxes and heave a frying pan at her so very badly.

But then I would have had to repack everything and that's a bloody nuisance.

So yeah, I'm a little wired right now.

As for the new place, we don't even know how long we're going to be there. While moving stuff in yesterday I ran into one of my neighbours. Turns out they're moving out at the end of the month and their apartment is much larger than ours. So I'm going to throw a Hail Mary and ask the housing people if we can move in there instead once we get back from vacation. They'll probably say no, but I have to ask. But at least it's just down the hall, as opposed to this move.

I've also been in a grumpy mood. Moving does that, but myself and Cathy have been at each other a bit the last few days. Thank Christ vacation starts on Friday. Two weeks off sounds really good right about now and I imagine whatever grumpiness will quickly pass.

Although California is experiencing a heat wave right now. Should be interesting to see what happens. My IQ tends to dip once temperatures hit 30C and are in freefall by the time you approach 40C. I might be in a vegetative state by the time I get back to Iqaluit...

No comments: