Sunday, July 09, 2006

Redefining lazy

To call this a lazy weekend for me would be a massive understatement. I have done little or nothing the entire time and it feels bloody marvelous.

Yes, yes, I know. It's a long weekend (July 9 is Nunavut Day) and I should be out doing....something. Anything. But honestly, doing what I'm doing right now (that being nothing) is what I want. It feels brilliant.

As most probably know, Cathy is now home. In fact, she left last Monday. And I do miss her. Lots. But we've done this before. We went 10 months with only 10 days at Christmas and a week at Easter as the only time we saw each other during that time. Now that sucked. It was brutally hard and if we never going through anything that stressful again for the duration of our relationship, I would be quite happy.

So really, the 24 days we're apart...it's nothing. It's a little breather, for a lack of a better word. And hey, she gets the better end of it this time. Last time I got to stay home and she had to go to Rankin Inlet. This time, she gets to roam around St. John's (albeit without a car) and I have to stay up North. It's a fair cop...

I know she's worried about me, and it's sweet. But really, I have the apartment all to myself for the next three weeks. It's the first time I've had an apartment or house all to myself for a prolonged period in a very long time. As I've said before, I'm a fairly private person. It's all part of being the damaged goods/only child thing, I guess. But I do like time alone. It took awhile to get used to the fact that when I got an amazing, lovely, wonderful woman, the amount of privacy and alone time that I was accustom to was going to have to go.

And I don't mind. It's much better for me in the long run. But to have the place to myself for three weeks is a very nice break. It meant all I've done this weekend is play Civilizations IV, watch sports, watch movies that Cathy hates (so far Monty Python and the Holy Grain, Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl, Gettysburg and Fight Club. Next up, rewatching all of my Babylon 5's) and putter around on the computer.

I've been too lazy to even blog. Although I've got to stop that before I get out of the habit of blogging. I've worked hard at trying to blog every day and I don't want to let that slide too much.

So yes, lazing around the apartment all weekend doing nothing of importance might sound terribly boring to most of you, but to me, it's a little piece of heaven.

Still, I'll be glad for the 28th when I see Cathy again. I imagine the pleasure of having the apartment to myself will have worn off by then.

6 comments:

Tina Chaulk said...

Ahhhh, doing nothing. One of the great joys of life. Enjoy it while you can. Before you know it Cathy will be back and you'll have that new puppy, then the fun begins.

Anonymous said...

A-HA!

Now you should start to understand why I did a little bit of a happy dance when OH had to go out of town on business. I got to cook what I wanted, watch my movies and read my books in blissful peace and quiet. Cherish the down times Craig--if you need your alone time half as much as I do, then you're going to have find ways to take it or go crazy.

And now I have started snickering in a most unbecoming fashion. So, again I say to you, sir--A-HA!

(BTW, Orangeman's day here and like a good government employee I have the day off too.)

towniebastard said...

Clearly your time in rural Newfoundland is starting to melt your brain, Colette. Not entirely unexpected, but happpening a bit quicker than I thought.

I don't think I ever mocked you for the times when your OH had to go on travel and you got the place to yourself. Your little dance of joy was a touch disturbing, but that's fine. I understand the need of people like us to have time alone for ourselves.

And I will always maintain that Orangeman's Day is the most retarded day off in the Newfoundland calander...

The Mommy said...

I got to say, Hubby and I are starting to drive each other mad, and as a result we are planning a few days of separate vacation for this summer, as I mentioned to you a while back.

Truth is, aside from the three weeks I spent in NL last year, I have not had "alone" time for more than a day since 2 years ago in March. And the three weeks last summer barely count for me, considering how busy those weeks were - 4 weddings and a funeral and all.

Enjoy it - my way of thinking is that these sort of short periods away from each other make you appreciate each other more and lead to a long and happy marriage...

Anonymous said...

You mocked me incessantly you frigger and you know it.

As an example of cooking in rural Newfoundland, whilst I am on my own, I give you this:

Supper tonight: baked goat cheese on mixed greens with honey pear dressing, dried cranberries, walnuts and chopped pear. Kick-ass bread.

Last night: pan-seared lemon and rosemary lamb chops with roasted asparagus and potatoes, strawberries and fresh local (!)cream for dessert

Before that: Vietnamese lemon grass beef salad with strawberries macerated in champagne for dessert

Tomorrow night: pan-seared ribeye beef medallions au jus with something interesting.

Coleman's has some nice fresh catfish fillets which look good.

Such is cooking when I only have myself to cook for.

Written while sipping on a nice glass of Wolf Blass Yellow Label.

Anonymous said...

You could, in your "copious" spare time (oh how I envy you), let us know how Dups is making out. He should be over halfway through his adventure, right?