Friday, December 05, 2008

Black Wednesday

So Jason practically begged me not to do anything political so he wouldn't feel compelled to come back to the blog and explain at length why I'm an idiot. Like I've never had former Musers tell me off before.

Anyway, a novel update. Or rather, an update on the marginal progress with the novel. The first 16 chapters are now edited, which is hardly matching the lofty goal of finished the editing for the first 22 chapters and then completed the rest of the novel I set out to accomplish at the beginning of November. Along with procrastination, I blame Mixed Nationals and a cold, which essentially took care of most of my higher brain functions for three weeks of that month.

But I'm not involved in the brutal section of the book, where the most work is needed. So it's hard to resist the urge to close my eyes and just plow through it, but I have to keep at it.

Of course, this is the week where I'm wondering if the work is worth it. And this isn't me getting down on myself, but a certain cold reality. Last Wednesday is being called Black Wednesday by some in the publishing field in the US because of the massive amount of purging that just happened. And if the US publishing industry is being creamed, I can only assume the Canadian publishing industry is about to face a similar purge.

Why does this shit always happen right before Christmas? Jesus, that's pretty harsh.

Anyway, yes, this is an excellent time to be a completely unknown author cold sending their book out into the wild and asking people to publish it. Ye gods. I think at some point I might take a look at self-publishing or online publishing and see how that goes. Because given this economy, I think my long odds just got that much longer.

But I will finish it. If for no other reason than I want to see how things end up.

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, I finally got to see Kate Nova sing this evening. Damn, that woman's got a voice.

Last Five
1. Two weeks - Mark Bragg
2. Cobwebs - Ryan Adams and the Cardinals
3. Fated - Matthew Good Band*
4. Oh Canada - Kathleen Edwards
5. Why I lie - Liz Phair

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I said 'idiot" that would be harsh, I'll go with terribly misguided. Regardless thanks, good luck with the book.

tanker belle said...

It's not just the publishing industry, it's not just this year, the most popular month for lay-offs is December...something about making the year-end numbers. Yes, the bastards really are scrooges.

Kate Nova said...

Yay, thanks! i'm glad you liked the show. It was fun.

Also, a note on the gossip girl thing below: inflatable elvis watched GG with me once, all complaining-like, pretending he didn't like it, but then CONTINUED TO WATCH IT EVERY CHANCE HE GOT.

towniebastard said...

On Friday he was all like, "Oh, I only watch the show to make fun of it" sort of thing.

I think he secretly wishes and yearns to be one of the pretty boys on the show. Kind of sad, really...