Friday, December 19, 2008

Better off where we are

We're not going anywhere this Christmas and I think I'm glad about that. Aside from simply being able to relax and take it easy, the weather seems particularly dicey for travel this year. One of my best friends is travelling by herself from Ottawa to St. John's with two small, sick children today. And given the weather that's happening down south, I hope she manages to get back to see her family safe, sound and with no fuss and delays. I'm also glad that we're not going through that this year. You could see a lot of tense people around town today, worrying about their travel plans. Because if you miss a flight, it could be days before you get where you were supposed to be.

I don't want to say we're having weird weather this year, because I think each year has its share of strange happening. And this is just a bad blizzard in central Canada in December. It's not really strange, just bad timing.

Now, this is strange.



Yeah, that's a picture of Vegas on Wednesday, where they got snow. Go here and see plenty more photos of this truly strange event. But I saw that earlier the week and thought, "who needs to spend thousands of dollars and the stress of trying to travel this year when there's snow in Vegas." Because if they're getting it there, who knows where else might get snow. A guy in town I curl with is heading to Vegas with his wife next week. I imagine he is less than thrilled.

Now, this will change, I'm sure. Next Christmas we might be itching to get out of town. And hell, I had no complaints last year when we were in Florida and on a cruise. But right now, this Christmas, staying put works for me. Besides, it's going to be almost like we have the town to ourselves. Over this weekend Iqaluit is going to hollow out. Between people heading south for the holidays or Inuit heading to their home communities for a break....well, I don't know how many people will be left in town by Tuesday. If there are approximately 7,000 people in town, I wouldn't be surprised is that number is cut by 40% or more.

So we're happy right where we are. Which says we must getting used to the north if you're happy spending the holidays when it's hovering around -40C.

Last Five
1. Rock lobster - B-52s
2. San Jacinto (live) - Peter Gabriel*
3. So far away - Blue Rodeo
4. I make the dough, you get the glory - Kathleen Edwards
5. Sea of a million faces (live) - Allison Crowe

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear you on the empty town part. It always was my favourite time of the year in Iqaluit. We arrived between Christmas and New Years one year for a new job and saw virtually no one but cabbies and those in the service industry for 2 weeks. It was nice.

Megan said...

I'm going around today to tell people that I'm now at www.snowcoveredhills.com. If you could update your link to my site, that would be great. I think it'll work with your automated blogroll, but to be honest I'm not sure. I guess we'll find out.