Monday, October 01, 2007

Of Macs and weird electromagneticism

I'm wondering if there's sunspot activity or something wonky going on in the atmosphere this evening. The reception on the television has been crappy, with all of the channels snowy and a couple completely unwatchable. Add to that the Internet has been so slow that I've wanted to get out and push. For people living down south wonky cable TV and Internet probably couldn't be traced to weird atmospheric activity. However, since even cable and Internet come in here via satellite, it does make some degree of sense.

You'd figured if there was weird E-M activity there might be some cool northern lights this evening, however it's cloudy, so so much for that idea. I just hope it passes soon enough. Crappy TV and internet gets annoying after awhile.

Ah yes, roughing it in the Canadian Arctic.

Of course, I'm wondering if part of the crappy internet might have to do with the current laptop beginning to slow down. It's three years old now and doing fine for the most part. But sites like Facebook are killing it. It's a pain in the ass to open iPhoto anymore and with only a 30 gig hard drive I'm constantly having to delete things to make sure I have enough hard drive space.

All of which is building up to getting a new computer. Plus Cathy is getting tired using this iBook. Aside from wanting to get her own computer again, she hates the keyboard on this laptop. She always manages to find a way to erase everything she's written in email whenever she uses this machine. Weirdness.

Anyway, Cathy is looking at buying a new Macbook. Odds are I'll be getting a Macbook Pro sometime before Christmas. So we'll be up to our eyeballs in happy new Macness.

Another thing I've noticed is the number of people up here who seem to have Macs. Or at least the number of bloggers that have them. By my account there are at least a half dozen northern bloggers using Macs. That's probably nothing significant, just one of those odds things I've noticed.

Anyway, that's my rambling for this evening...

4 comments:

jen said...

It's because all us northern bloggers are smart! The problem at my house though is that my husband is hardcore PC, we have a little PC VS. MAC battle every so often.

Why not get an external hard drive? I have one for my photos and it's sleek and tiny for easy portability. They are very inexpensive now a days.

I just got the Macbook Pro in January and honestly I have had a few problems that I didn't experience with Ibook or powerbook. Keep your ears open about recalls and other nastey things regarding Macbooks! However I think they just needed to work out a few kinks.

Jackie S. Quire said...

I would like to proudly proclaim my non-mac-i-ness.

Mac does NOT make decent audio editing software.

So there.

But yes, I have to turn to Jen for any new headers I want. Haha

Anonymous said...

Have to side with the Mac here. It took me a bit of getting used to and I don't know all the ins and outs of the whole Mac vs. PC debate but I'm definitely a happy blogger now that I've come over from the dark side and bought the Mac.

towniebastard said...

I do have a back-up, but it's a bit old and clunky now. I might look at getting a new one in the '08. Something a bit smaller. Oh, and thanks for the tip about the Pros. The line has been updated at least once since January, so I'm hoping whatever bugs there are, they'll be fixed. Besides, I'll likely get the service plan. I'm spending that much money on a computer it only makes sense to get it.

And Jackie, I know Macs aren't for everyone, although I would have thought they had decent audio editing software. Then again, I've seen some of the stuff CBC uses and it's probably a lot more advanced than what the average user needs.

My days of being a Mac evangelical preacher are done for the most part. But I use a PC at work, so why people would go through this hassle unless they're using the computer for extraordinary purposes is beyond me.