Monday, October 29, 2007

Some links until I think of wiser things to write

The dog is being an evil bastard this evening and not giving us a moment's peace. Those willing to make a trade, drop me a line. He'll go for cheap at this moment.

Anyway, for your amusement, some things I’ve noticed online in recent days.

Is this the worst title and cover for a book ever? From Boing Boing.



I want to like How I Met Your Mother more. I really do. But every time I sit down and try to watch it, I can only handle about 10 minutes of it. It’s immensely frustrating because I recognize it’s a good show and has a great cast. I also strongly suspect given the way Chuck has flailed about in recent weeks, I’ll have the time at 8 p.m. to watch the show. And yet, no.

Having said that Neil Patrick Harris is pretty much the only reason I keep trying to watch, because Barney is such a great character. And now we have this legendary poster for the upcoming Harold and Kumar 2.



I like the first movie. Now I must see the sequel.

Remember how I said Viva Laughlin sucked? Seems most of the world agreed with me. The show is the first official non-reality programming cancelled in the new season. All the more impressive considering some pretty lame shows (I tried watching Cavemen. It took 30 seconds for Cathy to snatch the remote from me and change channels, fearing I might do something to myself to make the pain stop) are still going. Viva Laughlin aired twice and was killed.

On the upside, we have a new season of the Amazing Race in its place. And hey, there’s a goth team! From Kentucky! Who wear pink! Plus lesbian ministers. You can normally count on the Race for amusement.

Pushing Daisies gets a full season pick-up which is good news. Just as good, the show remains funny and charming four episodes in. No signs of suckage yet, which is almost as big a miracle as the good ratings its getting. Plus, how can you not like a show that features a pigeon getting a new wing Bedazzled on, plus characters singing They Might Be Giants "Birdhouse in your Soul." You cannot. To watch the show is to be hooked.

And because it made me laugh, Batman: Master of Timing.

4 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

I have never liked Winnie the Pooh. Something about a kid saying "mommy, where's my pooh? I can't sleep without my pooh?" just doesn't sit right with me. But, I LOVE the cookbook. That cracked me up on a day I really needed a laugh. I have been reading your blog for a while but never posted a comment. You mention a lot of shows, some I watch, some I don't. Have you watched Cane? It's new this season on Tuesday nights with Jimmy Smits and I love it. Just wondering what others think of it.

Anonymous said...

I actually have the Cooking With Pooh book - not bad cookie recipes!

- John Gushue
http://johngushue.typepad.com/

Anonymous said...

I adore "Pushing Daisies" and have been so afraid that because it was an intelligent, interesting show it wouldn't get good ratings and would be canned. It happens far too often with the shows I enjoy (ex: Arrest Development), so I'm thrilled to hear it got picked up for this season.
-Terri Lynn

towniebastard said...

Never been a big Winnie the Pooh person myself. Never really got the appeal, but hey, I'm a bit too old to worry about that now.

Never got into Cane. I tried a couple of times and as much as I like Smits, there's just something about the show that doesn't interest me. Ah well...

And yeah, I'm thrilled Pushing Daisies got the full season pick-up and is doing ok rating wise. I'm still worried because it's quirky enough that it can easily go off the rails. But right now, it's the most charming show on tv by a mile...