Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Dion approaching

So I've heard that Stephane Dion will be visiting Nunavut in the coming days. I believe he plans on visiting Iqaluit Friday evening and part of Saturday. In fact, if what I'm hearing is true he'll be at the Iqaluit Press Club on Friday evening.

Yes, there's an Iqaluit Press Club. St. John's doesn't have one (or if it does, no one told me). I'm kind of tempted to crash it. I'm sure Dion has interesting things to say and all, but that's not the reason to go.

Let's put it this way, growing up I used to watch car racing all the time with my father. Not so much NASCAR, which we were never interested in, but we did like the open wheel racing cars, like Formula One or Indy Car. And hell, we both appreciated the skill it took to run a car around a course and to pass competitors and win a race. But let's face it, we were watching the race for the accidents. We didn't want to see anyone get hurt, but there's nothing like a nice pile up to make things exciting and a dull race interesting.

Do I really need to spell out the analogy any further on why I might go and see Dion talk this weekend?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes the Liberals really are starting to look like a very bad accident. Every time I see the news I notice my neck turning at the mention of his name, kind of like how you drive past a horrific accident on the highway, you don't want to look, you certainly pray everyone's okay, but... but... you just have to look for a second in wonderment.

towniebastard said...

Hell, I try to remain politically neutral for the most part, but I thought Dion was an interesting choice for the Liberals. I thought there was potential there for him to make a good prime minister.

Now I'm reading things like some Liberals wanting to call an election this fall, so they can hurry up and lose, ditch Dion and elect a new leader. Jesus...

Jackie S. Quire said...

Rumour confirmation: Yes, Dion will be the main attraction at the press club on Friday.

I have the inside scoop haha.

Jackie S. Quire said...

OH, also on the Dion-watch...

Apparently he's going rummage-sale-ing on Saturday.

So if you see/hear a strange french man roaming the streets of Iqaluit...

Now you know

Jackie S. Quire said...

Dion update.

He has canceled his trip... or at least postponed it until November.

Aren't you glad I exist to provide up-to-the minute developments on his every move?

towniebastard said...

Thank you, Jackie. Pity about the cancelled trip. I think watching Dion go to someone's apartment and buy a case of left over soup from a sealift sale might have been entertaining.

Btw, and this is an obvious joke, strange French men wandering the streets of Iqaluit is not all that unusual.

Jackie S. Quire said...

Haha, as I was surprised to learn, except instead of wandering, he was driving my cab :P

sonicarchitect said...

Too bad, I've been in Iqaluit for 3 weeks, and in that time I've already seen Harper and Layton, it would've been nice to complete the trio!

sonicarchitect said...

Ignore my previous comment. I only saw the post dated October 2nd, and not the 2007 part.

Although, to be fair, Dion is appearing in Iqaluit today and is late (being postponed from 5 pm to 9 pm.

I enjoy your blog (having found it randomly while googling "Dion Iqaluit" wondering if he was still appearing today.