Saturday, April 18, 2020

40 years at Shoppers

My record for longest stint at a job is the one I'm currently in. This June it will mark eight years. And if you throw in the 16 months I did earlier, went away, and then came back to the job, I have a little over nine years at this gig. It marks an almost unheard of level of job stability for me. Previously, I've tended to bounce around. I think if you ask most people my age or younger, the number of people who have spent decades at a job are relatively rare.

And even if you do spend a few decades at a job, you normally retire. Teachers tend to go at 30 years, for example.

Mom and I, Christmas 2012 at Shoppers.
Then there's my mom. Today marks her 40th anniversary working for Shoppers Drug Mart on Torbay Road. Hell, if you toss in her time at the Zellers that used to be in that mall, she's spent 45 years on that parking lot. If there was ever a demand for a history of the Torbay Road Mall, it begins and ends with my mom.

I have a vague recollection of mom starting at Shoppers. The store was opening in the mall (Zellers was on one end, Dominion on the other, in-between was a CIBC, Shoppers, a doctor's office, a Chinese restaurant, and several smaller stores) and it was a big deal. First one on the east end of town. She'd been working at Zellers for years and was excited about not just getting a new job, but also becoming head cosmetician. It was a big deal for her.

And it's still a big deal for her. Mom loves her job. Odds are you've never loved a job the way my mom loves hers. Lord knows she doesn't do it for the money. She just loves people. She loves helping people and chatting with them. I've spoken to mom more times than I can count at 11 pm after she's just finished an eight hours shift and she's fine. She normally hangs up to go and get her cup of coffee. And then she's back to work for a 10 am shift the next morning.

That's not something she did years ago. That's something she probably did this week.

Yeah, she's still working. I've asked her to stop working during the COVID-19 crisis, but she keeps going in. She's not selling make-up right now; she's just helping out around the store, trying to be useful. It makes me nervous as hell, but she keeps working. Because it's what she loves doing. Working and being helpful.

If you've walked into that Shoppers and talked to my mom, odds are you have a story about her. If you've talked to her for more than a few minutes, odds are you know something about me (I've long since given up asking her to not do that). She's sold makeup to news anchors, make-up artists on film/TV productions, and others. One of her absolutely favourite customers was Danny Williams' mom. She got a kick out of that and always took good care of her.

Then again, she always takes good care of everyone.

She's outlasted everyone in the store. The original owner retired years ago. I wouldn't place a bet against her outlasting the current owner. And the one after him. I'm not giving up here age here, but she shows no signs of retiring. I imagine I'll be updating this in 10 years time when we celebrate her 50th anniversary at the store.

My favourite mom story? This would have been around 2012. I was back in Newfoundland for Christmas and discovered, to my horror, that mom was working Christmas Day. I asked her why, as she obviously had the seniority to get that day off.

"Well, most of the rest of the cosmetics staff have young ones or young family and they should spend Christmas morning with them rather than being in here. And you're old enough to not need me there Christmas morning and I knew you'd understand. So that's why."

The photo above is from me going in that morning and spending an hour or so with her in the store, before she shooed me home out of it. Which has always been the way when I visit her at the store. She's happy to see me and chat, but if there's a customer who looks like they need help, she'll stop mid-conversation to go over and take care of them.

Odds are she's not celebrating this day the way she wanted. She's been looking forward to this day for a long time. It likely won't be the celebration she wanted, but I hope they do lots for her anyway. I've always thought Shoppers has never appreciated her the way she deserves.

For years, I've had some variant of this conversation:

"Well, I'm never sure how much longer I'll get to do this, Craig. I'm not sure how long they'll want someone my age in cosmetics."

"Mom, the number of women you bring into that store who want to know the secret of how you look so good at your age should mean you get to stay there forever."

And she does. Mom has consistently looked 10-15 younger than she actually is. She has, on occasion, passed me off as her younger brother. Which amuses her, and makes me roll my eyes, but whatever. It gives her a laugh.

And women do come in and ask her secret. And she's happy to sell them some moisturizer she uses, or some other products. And they go away happy. But she never tells them the real reason why she looks so young.

Just love what you do for 40 years and be a kind and amazing person. Works every time.

Happy 40 years, mom. Here's to at least another 10.


25 comments:

peter said...

That was a nice article you wrote. My folks live close to the torbay mall and when Ive visited over the years I always take trips there. I remember the zellers and shoppers of course. 40 years at one company is a great accomplishment. You blogging for 15 years is also commendable! Keep at it buddy.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! You are one in a million..

Baywops said...

Congratulations Daphne,wow,what a milestone and still looking awesome! Gary and Floss Cummings

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Daphne on your long career with Shoppers������














Doreen ThorneXo

Dale in Newfoundland said...

Happy Anniversary! You always look beautiful and I love seeing you at MY shoppers! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story of your mom my son .....great job missus ,they don’t make them like you anymore

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute to your Mom. Shopper's is truly blessed to have a loyal employee who truly understands the value of customer service. Congratulations on 40yrs to your Mom!

Paula Q said...

Happy Anniversary Daphne!!! I miss seeing you since I retired from the mall a few years ago but I do get to see you every now and then in Carbonear. Enjoy your day to the fullest!! I hope that you are not working today, lol!!! Great job Craig and yes I have heard many stories about you and your exploits from your mom.
Daphne, you go girl!!!!

Unknown said...

A huge congratulations to your Mom. Makes me want to visit that Shoppers when this madness settles and I live in Mount Pearl. I really hope she's acknowledged for this. As my grandmother would say, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Unknown said...

Wow...what an article Craig. I remember you and your mom very well from many many years ago. What a gorgeous sweet little boy you were. You and your mom and dad lived on Glenview Terrace. Your dad worked at the post office and your mom babysat for my sister...who lived upstairs. It was a perfect arrangement. I remember your mom doing up my niece Karen like a stick of chewing gum. I especially remember her putting baubles in Karen’s hair. I think she loved having a little girl to do up and Karen certainly loved it. The kids loved your mom who treated them like her own. Yes I remember you all well. I’m happy to see how how happy your mom is in her job. She was always good at that kind of thing...always looked lovely. I’m Patricia. Say hi to your mom for me!

Dale said...

Lovely tribute to a great lady.  My first real job was working at that Shoppers in the '80s. One of my assignments was to cover cosmetics on the rare days that your mom and Lorraine were off. She took me under her wing, as she did for all of the newbies. I learned a lot from her (including that I - unlike your mom - did not have the temperament for working with the general public :-) ). She spoke often of her son Craig, her pride and joy, and shared stories with us about your youthful adventures. When I finished University and headed off on my career, I would look forward to seeing her at the store and catching up. Despite the fact that hundreds (thousands?) of people must have worked there over the decades, I'm amazed at how many she remembers. When I've seen her in recent years, I exclaim "You're still here?!" and she always smiles and says "Of course, where else would I be?". I will be retiring this year while your mom celebrates her 40th. Neither of us will celebrate the way we had envisioned, so thanks for sharing this.  I'll now be dropping by with a belated anniversary greeting for this wonderful woman.

Unknown said...

Your mom is a lovely lady always have a smile for everyone she helped me so many times over the years she is very friendly and no matter where you see her she always Say hello and smile that beautiful smile

bernice robbins said...

best wishes for many more happy working days, you always give your customers plenty of time and good advice.

Anonymous said...

Happy 40th anniversary Daphne. Take care,stay safe, keep smiling.

Gary Johnston said...

Lovely to see her still at it! Worked with her at Shopper's Torbay Rd. for 3 or 4 years.
Congratulations and much love.
Gary

Debbie said...

Your mom is a lovely woman and I've known her since the 70's when I also worked in Torbay Road Mall. Happy 40th Daphne!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Daphne!! 40years is quite an accomplishment!! Also looking wonderful and Shoppers Drug Mart should be proud of your contributions over the years!!!❤💕👏👏👏

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Daphne!! 40years is quite an accomplishment!! Also looking wonderful and Shoppers Drug Mart should be proud of your contributions over the years!!!❤💕👏👏👏

Anonymous said...

Your mom is an icon of Torbay Road, Shoppers. Just the sweetest.

Yvonne said...

I moved to the Eastend of St.John's 13 years ago have been going to that Shoppers Drug Mart and I have to admitt, of all the stores I frequently shop I choose Shoppers because of Daphne. She has worked there almost as long as I have been born. Yet I always say she is a picture of youth. Her personality is inviting friendly and helpful. She is a great storyteller and so amusing. I always say "I want to be her when I grow up. Happy work Anniversary Daphne. You contribute to the community more then you know, Thank you.

Rebecca Aylward said...

Please pass along this message to your mom from my mom, Donna Aylward:
Congratulations Daphne on your milestone. You are an amazing person, so friendly and always willing to chat. You exemplify all that represents exceptional customer service, taking care of everyone’s needs and going the extra mile to do so. I know for certain that I’d be lost without your help and attention to detail and Tony loves that you help him Xmas shop for all of my favorite cosmetics. Shoppers and its patrons are truly blessed as an I to have you in our lives. You are a one of a kind professional not to mention a FABULOUS. Looking lady. Your next career move should be a face model on tv for those of us over 50 as I can only aspire to be half as beautiful as you after a long career. Love ya Daphne, congrats again my friend.
Donna Aylward

Sharon said...

I remember Daphne.I worked at Zellers and then m9ved on to CIBC.I too spent more than 40 years on that parking lot.Torbay mall felt like home.All the best Daphne Sharon Moyst.

Linda said...

I really enjoyed the read! Thanks for sharing this. CONGRATS TO BEAUTIFUL DAPHNE! I ♡ℒâ„īŅĩâ„Ŋ her warm, genuine, cheery heart. She's like 'home' to me. We always have a fun, 'sunny' talk & she's forever gracious & giving, wanting to help with #PinkDaysInBloom, a breast cancer fundraiser in support of the Canadian Cancer Society-NL, for which I am grateful to her beyond any words. Best wishes, dear Daphne, from my husband & me. We look forward to seeing you again soon & give you a hug. XOXO

Vivian Templeman said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Mom Craig.... and ALL so well said! She is one dynamic woman. I have known Daphne since the days of “old” Zellers (as I call it) and she continues to look better with each birthday... never changes! She is always so eager and willing to help , and if you know her personally like I do, then you are in her clutches for half an hour when you drop in to Shoppers. Without a doubt she loves what she does and I would like to salute Daphne on her 40th Anniversary with Shoppers as “Cosmetician of the Year”. Congrats my friend...... and keep rising to da top!

Cass said...

Congratulations Daphne.
Shoppers is lucky to still have you! Place wouldn’t be the same without you so don’t be going anywhere any time soon. You are up there with the best!