Monday, April 04, 2011

Three quick things

1. Clare first brought Indigo's health to my attention a few days ago. I didn't know her as well as some other northern bloggers, like Jen and Clare. But she always swung by the blog, had a few kind things to say or interesting observations to make. I was saddened to hear about her death. It's going to be an absence in the local blogging community, but more importantly it's the loss of a good friend and a beloved family member. My condolences to everyone.

2. When all hell broke loose in Japan last month, I remember reading a quick article with someone saying they were actually more in favour of nuclear power after the incident than they were before. Which was a curious thing to say in the wake of all the panic that was going on. But really, he had an interesting point. The reactor survive a 9.0 Richter Scale earthquake. It was only when the tsunami wave hit and knocked out back-up generators that all hell broke loose.

Geoff Meeker, who writes a media column with The Telegram, did a piece expressing his disgust with a lot of the fear-mongering reporting that happened after the plant incident. But it's this piece with Bob McDonald of CBC's Quirks and Quarks that really impressed me. McDonald explains what happened with the reactor better than anyone else I've read so far and makes an interesting and compelling argument on nuclear power.

I'm not saying let's rush out and build nuclear reactors everywhere. But I think after reading this I'm a little more open to the idea of nuclear power than I was before. And if nothing else, he's a good place to start on any debate on the subject.

3. So after Southwest Airline had a few incidents involving a Boeing 737 I was wondering if there was going to be a warning. Lo and behold, there is. But the thought that crossed my mind was that both First Air and Canadian North use older 737s, so were any of those planes going to be affected?

Thanks to the power of Twitter, I posed that question and got an answer. First Air doesn't, but Canadian North has one. Which I'm willing to bet is being inspected as we speak. So that brings up two things - god love Twitter, which is a brilliant way of throwing questions out into the wild and getting answers. And secondly, both airlines really need to get some new planes. Seriously.

Last Five
1. October - U2
2. From my own true love - The Decemberists
3. Wallet - Regina Spektor
4. Voicething - Goldfrapp
5. Times a thousand - Hot Hot Heat

4 comments:

Sara Dorman said...

You're thinking of George Monbiot, I suspect? http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/georgemonbiot

I didn't read the column at the time, but have now gone back. As a pro-nuclear green person, I have always felt isolated, but now George is on my side!. He's a nice guy too. Had dinner with him once at a friend's house.

Sara Dorman said...

More good stuff here from today's paper: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/apr/05/anti-nuclear-lobby-misled-world

-N- said...

Oh my god, do those airlines ever need new planes, and Kenn Borek too. They have probably the most expensive airfares in the world, but it's sure not to spend it on the equipment. On Kenn Borek it's like sitting on a school bus. A 1960's school bus. With room for 1.5 adults in every 2 places sold. I'm a skinny 5'3" and I'm too big for the seats.

Geoff Meeker said...

Thanks, Craig!