Tuesday, March 02, 2010

A profanity free post

So, I'm glad to see that most people don't think I curse too much on the blog and, even if I do let the occasional drop of profanity slide in there, it's not really upsetting anyone.

Actually, the one comment that was telling to me was Vicki's, noting that I have a tendency to overuse certain words. That's actually far more worrying to me than the use of profanity. There's a simple enough remedy to that, and it's to do a better job of editing the blog. Then again, I've been saying that for nearly five years and it hasn't happened yet. Other than a basic skim for spelling and anything really obvious, that's as far as it goes. I'm sure there's any number of horrific spelling and grammatical errors in most blog posts. Fortunately, most of you are kind enough to let it slide.

Anyway, I don't imagine you're going to see an uptick in cursing around these parts. I suspect the only time you'll see it happening is if I get particularly worked up, annoyed or really, really pissed off about something. And really, who knows what's going to set me off on any given day.

I did get something nice today, though. As you may have noticed on the sidebar, I won the Nunie for Best Blog. Clare was good enough to provide a prize, which I finally got today. The joys of ordering stuff up here through courier companies. FedEx dropped it off to First Air in Ottawa on February 3rd, which was then promptly picked up by J&N Moving in Iqaluit and where it promptly....did nothing. For nearly a month. It wasn't until Clare asked the other day if we got it that I went "oh yeah".

Oddly enough, Apple told him it was returned as undeliverable. I happened to be out on Federal Road today, popped in and there it was, sitting on a table by the door. I actually could have walked in, picked it up (along with a bout $1,000 or more worth of Apple products) and I honestly don't think anyone one would have noticed.

I know we're a low priority destination for companies like FedEx or shudder UPS, but one of these days they really are going to have to learn to crack the whip on the local guys.

Huh, look at that. A little rant snuck right in there. No profanity, though, so I must not be too upset.

Anyway, I finally got the book and it is absolutely lovely. Very professional looking and the photography is astonishing. Clare should be very proud of this book. For that matter, you should go and bug him and get a copy for yourself. I tip my hat to you, Sir.

Having said that, I'm also going to rob a YouTube link he put up. Most Nunavut blog readers have probably seen it already, but if you've come from elsewhere, then this is a treat. I love music videos like this. I also shudder to think of how long it took to set up and how many takes that must have had to do.

But it is undeniably a blast to watch. Oh yeah, and the song isn't bad either.



Last Five
1. 99% of us is failure (live) - Matthew Good*
2. My life/Your world (live) - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
3. Loretta (live) - Neko Case
4. Light years - Sloan
5. Green eyes - Coldplay

3 comments:

Clare said...

Thank you Sir, you are too kind.

If you check out the comments on my post about the video you'll see that Fawn left a link with the story of the video. According to the story it took about 60 tries over 2 days, partially because it had to operate in time with the music. I had figured (I can't stop watching it, or the Marching Band video for the same song) that it took them at least 10 tries to get at least as far as the smashing TV. Simply because there are about 9 smashed TVs against the wall, just beyond that point.

Cool video. Oh look, my word verification word is "clone"

Karin said...

Thanks for the OKGO video. I miss those Chicago boys.

The Perfect Storm said...

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" remains one of the best closing lines ever.

A well placed bon mot, even if one needs to excuse one's 'French' is just, well... well placed.

Regarding courier services, you are in good company - in Mississauga I can't get them to put something in the mailbox (or knock sufficiently that someone *inside* hears it), thus saving me the 8 pm trip to go pick it up thereafter.

Regards,
etc.