Friday, January 15, 2010

Bonspiel weekend

A brief post late in the evening. Today is the start of the First Air Bonspiel so that's taken up a chunk of my time today and will take up a chunk tomorrow. We're off to a good start, winning our first game pretty easily. Of course, the real prize isn't winning first at this event. Oh, there'll be some nice prizes on the table and some bragging rights. However, First Air gave us two return tickets to Ottawa plus three certificates for cargo (100kg, 75kg, 50kg) as door prizes. So that's what everyone is really gunning for.

Those are some princely prizes, by the way. With a return ticket to Ottawa costing around $1,500 and cargo going for $4/kg, you can do the math. I confess, when I heard Air Canada was coming to Iqaluit I was worried about whether or not the other two northern airlines would cut back on their sponsorship of local events. So it's nice to see First Air stepping up and donating those prizes.

Of course, even if I win the plane ticket, I don't win the plane ticket. Cathy has claimed dibs on the next ticket I win...apparently since I've already won one and got to fly to New York on it in 2008, she gets this one. I'm not entirely sure that's the way it's supposed to work, but we shall see. She's got her own team in this weekend, so perhaps she'll win her own ticket without having to steal mine.

So in the meantime, enjoy this website - Conan Yourself. Show your support for Conan O'Brien by putting some of his...interesting hair on your head. Simply upload a photo and you can then play with several different hairstyles. This is what I got when I did it this afternoon.



I do miss having snazzy hair sometimes. Of course, then I think about all the hours of my life I have back not having to try and take care of that much hair, and I feel a little better.

Anyway, feel free to go and play with that, it's a bit of fun. And anything that you can to do offer up a bit of support of O'Brien and make sure Jay Leno never comes back on air is all good with me.

Last Five
1. Black tambourine - Beck
2. I'm an animal - Neko Case*
3. All I need - Radiohead
4. Cry baby cry - The Beatles
5. Carnival town - Norah Jones

No comments: