Sunday, November 01, 2009

Still trying to find things

So, once again the screen of death stares at me. So for you Sunday evening enjoyment, a couple of absolutely different quick links. In fact, they couldn't be further apart on the spectrum, I think.

First up, is this review of the soundtrack to the upcoming New Moon movie. Now, you would have to put a gun to my head to get me to pay money to go and see this movie. But there are a few acts - Death Cab For Cutie and Thom Yorke - that I wouldn't mind listening to. So I read the review in Rolling Stone. And it's actually pretty funny. I like the comparisons between the Twilight movies and Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club. They both kind of work.

I know the Twilight movies are crap without ever seeing them, and its rare that I say that kind of thing. I normally believe you need to see things before you can judge them. But I've read enough reviews from enough people who I respect to draw up a decent idea that it won't be my cup of tea. However, I think I have to accept that these movies are this generations crap teen movies. Honestly, Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club aren't great works of art. But they work as perfectly good teen movies and works of nostalgia once you get older. But if you were an adult when those movies came out and you saw them, in all likelihood you thought they were pretty stupid.

So perhaps that's what Twilight is and I'm the adult tut-tutting crap while teens love it. Live and learn, I guess.

And at the other end of the spectrum, we have this story about how the first day of swine flu vaccinations in Iqaluit went....really smoothly. I wonder if they were just that organized or if it was because they launched it on a Sunday where the weather was kind of bitter cold, which might have kept away some people away. Regardless, it's nice to see. Here's hoping it'll continue.

Oh, and for the record, I will go and get the flu shot for the first time in my life. Likely later this week just to make sure the worst of the crowds will have past by then.

Oh, and one final bonus link. This story from Wired magazine this month on people who oppose vaccinations is fascinating reading and an interesting look at the way even the most educated people can delude themselves with a little of the wrong information.

Last Five
1. Meadowlake street - Ryan Adams
2. Telling stories - Tracy Chapman*
3. Rainbirds - Tom Waits
4. Dudley - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
5. Danny says - Tom Waits

No comments: