Friday, February 06, 2009

Songsmith

I began hearing rumblings about Microsoft Songsmith the other day, but then John Gushue put up a few YouTube links and I thought to myself, "What the fuck is this glorious evil?"

Just start poking around YouTube and type in some of your favourite song title and Microsoft Songsmith. By all accounts, the program is shit at it's original purpose, which is you singing original song and it will create the music for you. But for doing weird shit to classic songs, it's genius.

I don't know, but I think that says something about either about the quality of Microsoft's product or the folks who inhabit the Internet. Either way, it's amusing.

I think this is my favourite so far.



A lot of this really is crap (Even I can't inflict the lounge version of "Running with the devil" by Van Halen on you this early in the morning), but sometimes you can stumble on something that's genius. Anyway, it's an amusing way to kill an hour today if you need it. Although I suspect somewhere Inflatable Elvis is either laughing to kill himself or hunting for sharp objects.

Edit: Here's a pretty amusing Globe and Mail story on the "phenomenon" that's worth reading.

Last Five
1. What makes you happy - Liz Phair*
2. Don't look back in anger (live) - Tori Amos
3. Little room - The White Stripes
4. Halo - Texas
5. Women and men - Josh Rouse

1 comment:

Gary Kelly said...

About 2-3 weeks ago, I was listening to the TWIT podcast and they did a review of this program. It sounded hilarious. Initially they were being critical of the program but after a while they thought it might be a good program for some party fun.