Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Entertainment this morning...

And now, some entertainment news, starting with three articles about 300.

1. There were many headlines expressing shock over the fact the movie made $70 million, doubling what most people were estimating it would make on its opening weekend. But I think this headline was probably my favourite.

2. Already 300 has pissed off some Greeks and many historians about inaccuracies. So really, does it come as much of a surprise that Iran is pissed off because the movie makes Persians look bad. First of all, anybody who views a historical movie as a documentary is generally too foolish to talk about. Secondly, and correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the Persian were actually trying to invade Greece, so maybe the Greeks might have less than positive things to say about them. And third, it was 2,500 years ago. Time to let it go, guys.

3. With the success of the movie, director Zach Snyder is trying to get his next project off the ground, which is the comic book classic Watchmen. Many people, including myself, consider it unfilmable as a two hour movie. So this may or may not be a good thing. But my favourite part in this article is where they talk a bit about the marketing around 300. Including where they gave away condoms promoting the film.

The brand of condoms? Why, Spartans, of course. And the slogan? "Prepare for Glory!" Genius.

4. As for things not 300 related, here's a list of what TV shows are "on the bubble" and may not be renewed. Other than Veronica Mars, I think I can safely say I don't really care that much if most of these shows return.

5. But what is interesting is that Law & Order may not return, which I'm sure is a shock to many. Part of the problem is low ratings, the other problem is how much the show costs to make these days, which is around $3 million per episode. I got to admit, it's been years since I watched an episode. Just hasn't been the same since Jerry Orbach died.

6. Apparently, the results for The Amazing Race: All-Stars have leaked online. So far, the first four eliminated have been accurately predicted, including the shocking ouster of Rob and Amber last week. Go here if you want the rest of the season ruined for you. I confess, having seen the list, I'm not sure how much more of the show I will watch. Yeah, I was cheering for Rob and Amber, but there weren't many other teams there I especially liked. And let's just say if this list is right, the final couple of teams will grate on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

7. Oh yeah, weighed myself again last night. 234.8, up two pounds. Kind of figured that might happen. Even with a punishing workout Monday night I've eaten too much crap the past week. But when there is freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in the apartment, how much will power can you realistically expect me to have.

No comments: