Monday, June 02, 2008

One good thing about last night

We went out and had a fairly unimpressive supper last night. Which is kind of the problem with the Frobisher. It's hit and miss. We've gone there and had great meals and wonderful service. And then you get nights like last night. It really shouldn't take us two hours to get soup/salad and a plate of pasta and leave. And yet, it took more than 20 minutes to get the appetizers, and then about another 45 minutes to get a couple of plates of Chicken Alfredo. We then waited another 20 minutes or so to be offered dessert and to box up what we had left. The waitress never reappeared, so we brought the bowl to the cash where someone else boxed it for us. Then it was another five minutes before she came up to the cash so I could pay.

Oh, and I was sick when I got home. Just as a bonus

First time in the three years we've been up here that I didn't leave a tip. Which goes to show how bad it was. I waited tables for a number of years. Not leaving a tip isn't something I do lightly.

I'm not saying we'll never go there again. The options in Iqaluit are just too limited to boycott a place. But it is frustrating.

The one good thing out of last night was there were a lot of local artists coming through selling things. We passed on all of it but one. After you live up here long enough you start to get picky about what sculptures you will buy. But Cathy fell in love with this one. And she even did something she hates doing...haggling to get a better price.

Still, it's quite nice. The artist did a nice job.






One other thing, completely unrelated to eating and sculptures...I went to see Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay. It wasn't as much fun as the first one, but that's not what I'm talking about. This movie had both women going around without tops and, in one scene, no bikini bottoms. There's male frontal nudity. There's a scene where one character masturbates so much that there's an....explosion that lands on his face. There's tons of profanity, lots of drug use and near homosexual rape scenes.

I say all of this not to criticize the movie, but to make this one simple point....given all of this, does this seem like the kind of movie you should take two children under 10 to?

You wouldn't think so, but there was a mom bringing the kids into it. I know the the theatre can't refuse admittance...it's an R movie, not NC-17. Still, I wish some parents had a bit better common sense.

Last Five
1. On the radio - Regina Spektor
2. Come with me - Spamalot (OCR)
3. Your beauty must be rubbing off - Hawksley Workman
4. Steven's last night in town- Ben Folds Five
5. Square one - Tom Petty*

4 comments:

KOTN said...

Nine Senators in town, all of their assorted hangers on, a Radio Canada team heading to Pond Inlet, and some guys in uniforms who are here for something. Bad week to get a meal for sure.

Megan said...

I've been appalled at the number of moms with children in R-rated movies here in Yellowknife. It's just awful to see.

towniebastard said...

In retrospect, yes, a bad week to try and get something. But we just wanted a half decent meal. And we're tired of the Snack already, the Water's Edge menu looks like it was designed specifically to kill Cathy with all the seafood. The Discovery is too expensive. Maybe we should have tried the Nav or something...

As for the movies, I saw it a couple of times in Newfoundland, but man, it happens all the time up here. This isn't even the fifth or sixth time I've seen kids in movies they shouldn't have been.

For that matter, there were two 14 year old girls behind me (who kept saying "oooh, gross" and the female nudity) who shouldn't have been there without adults.

Theatres are playing fast and lose. They know kids are most of their business. Why cause trouble? But I wonder if they're going to get burned for it up here at some point.

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Eww Eww Eww. Not a movie I would want to see. Ever. And as for your dinner fiasco? I'll think of you when I'm in St. John's next week eating Betty's Fish and Chips on Torbay Road. Maybe I'll even take a picture of it for you. *grin*