Thursday, December 13, 2007

Four links

So let us see some of the links that have caught my eye today.

1. I've never been the biggest Terry Prachett fan in the world. I respect the quality of the work he does, but his books, for the most part, never captured my imagination. With one notable exception - Good Omens. That book, co-written with Neil Gaiman, remains one of my all-time favourites. So the news that he has early onset Alzheimer's is disheartening.

Then again, as Cathy pointed out to me, this is the disease that I'm most afraid of. I'm not saying there are ones I look forward to or prefer. But there's something in particular about Alzheimer's that scares me. Still, reading Prachett's comments, I could only hope that if I am ever diagnosed with that disease that I meet it with half the grace and wit that Prachett is apparently doing.

2. The annual list of stupid warning labels has been released. Really, hard to beat "Warning: Avoid Death". I mean, if I had never read that label, I don't know what I would do in my day to day life.

3. Bill Maher lists his dickheads of the year. Kind of hard to find fault with any of his selections. I especially like the completely insane 25% that will never abandon President Bush, no matter what he does. Although I confess confusion about one omission. If you're going to list dickheads, aren't you missing the obvious by not including Dick Cheney?

4. Rolling Stone lists the 100 best singles of 2007. Once again, I might know about a quarter of them. Of the ones listed there, "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes is probably my favourite, but with a special mention for "Silver Lining" by Rilo Kiley. That's a good little band. They're heavily influenced by Fleetwood Mac, but really, there are a lot worse influences to have. As a pop band, there aren't many better than them when they were on.

2 comments:

Clare said...

I'm with you on Alzheimer's Craig. I think it is because I think of myself as a rather cerebral person more than anything else. ALS scares the heck out of me to (I have a classmate with it) but at least I'd know my children and the other people I love.

Clare said...

Oh, and Steven Jobs and iTunes thanks you for posting the top 100 songs link. My wife, on the other hand, might have a different expression when she sees the Visa Bill