Friday, December 14, 2007

Cold venting

So let's see what we have for this evening..

1. Well, it's been awhile since we had any fuckery with the car. I guess I started to get cocky with the security cameras around the building. But there are still ways of being an asshole with only a little bit of work. Last night someone pulled the plug out of the outlet. That meant there was nothing keeping the car battery warm last night.

Ordinarily that would just be a bit of a nuisance. If you're lucky, then the battery is fine anyway. Except it was below -40 last night with windchill, so there wasn't much of a chance the battery was going to survive that. And sadly, since the battery is about seven years old and has run down once already, it's now officially toast. Even a boost couldn't get it going again.

We'll see about replacing it before we go. I have visions of getting a new battery and the same asshole yanking the plug out of the bar again, killing another battery. So we might just tough it out until we get back from vacation and replace it then. And yes, there are security cameras. But really, is it worth it going through the footage and involving the police just to find someone who killed my battery? Probably not.

I wonder if vandalism is going to be a larger problem, what with The Snack just about ready to reopen. There's going to be a lot more traffic in the area again.

2. While the cold killed my battery last night, it didn't managed to kill a little bird that ended up at work today. I don't know how, but someone's pet bird escaped. It's a tropical bird, a parakeet of some kind. It was found on someone's porch this morning, presumably having spent most of the night there. It was dropped of at work and we put a PSA on the local station asking if anyone lost a pet bird. No one's claimed it so far. I have no earthly idea how a tropical bird survived the cold last night. Other than sleeping a lot and having it's feet look a bit swollen, it seems fine. Weirdness. That's one tough bird. One of my co-workers took it home for the weekend and might adopt it if no one steps forward.

3. I guess this blog was pretty much inevitable, especially since I can't find Rantin' and Raven anymore. Which means there's a bit of a void for Nunavummiut to vent anonymously online. This ought to be interesting.

4. I now have a copy of The Chieftains The Bells of Dublin. Thanks Elling.

Last Five
The Bells of Dublin - The Chieftains

6 comments:

Steph said...

Aw, sweet. You received the Chieftains CD.

I'm living in a rough area of Toronto and am enjoying shopping around for good neighbourhoods.

I know you don't have that luxury up there and I feel for you.

Steph said...

Wait. How did you recognize the bird's feet were swelled up, buddy?

towniebastard said...

I didn't...I leave that to the experts, who can recognize such things.

And hey, we'll soon be in Florida with access to some of the largest shopping malls in America. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that "Arctic Agent" can remain anonymous but posting on his blog you have to sign in (cannot post anonymously).

In Iqaluit

PS: Thanks for letting me post anonymously!

Anonymous said...

anonymously anonymos :-)
I agree with the anonymous, why can he be anonymous and yet people who want to answer to his blog can't be anonymous? love reading your blog though townie, sometimes your posts just make my day better, makes me smile at times, especially loved the geek poster.

from anonymously anonymous

towniebastard said...

Yeah, I think that site might cause more problems than it solves in the long run. I suspect I understand why he's not allowing anonymous comments - not everyone can play nice with anonymous commenting. It has the potential to get ugly in a hurry once people start putting up some really mean and hurtful stuff.

And if you really want to vent about something, you can submit it to him/her and they will repost it, giving the option of screening out the obnoxious stuff. And you can create a fake profile pretty easy. There is a degree of logic to it. And hey, their blog, their rules.

But I still feel like the whole thing is going to backfire badly. No real reason I can put my finger on. More of a gut "Oh man, this is going to cause a racket."

And rackets are fine. I think the occasional racket is a good thing. But I think this will get out of hand in a hurry.