Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Due South

First, just for Claire, here's a way to damage your wallet some more - Rolling Stone's 50 top albums of 2007. I think I have about 18 of them.

Anyway, we’re off on a jet planet in a few hours. Ottawa tonight, then back at the airport bright and early tomorrow morning for a trip to Fort Lauderdale, via a brief stopover in Cleveland. I’ve checked all the weather websites and the fickle fates seem to be siding with us. That isn’t taking mechanical problems, drunken pilots or other random x-factors into account, but so far, so good. If all goes well, we hit Fort Lauderdale around 12:30 on Thursday, then rent a car and head off to Orlando for a couple of days, then back to Fort Lauderdale to hop on the cruise ship.

You know, I do understand the advantages of spending a white Christmas this close to the North Pole. We did it a couple of years ago. It’s nice and all. But it’s -48 with windchill as I write this. And while I’m all about cuddling up to Cathy under the mistletoe, sitting on a lounge chair drinking something with fruit in it while being transported to a small Caribbean island sounds marginally more appealing right now.

Normally when I write these “we’re off on vacation posts” that means the blog will be going dark until we get back. However, we’re taking a computer with us, because the hotels are supposed to have high speed internet, as does the cruise ship. Granted, Carnival is taking a page from previous sailors of the Caribbean Sea by engaging in high sea piracy in how much they’re charging for internet access (I think it’s about $60 for 100 minutes), so we’ll see how that goes.

Anyway, there may well be updates from the road. Stay tuned to see if we survive our wacky adventures in Florida and the Caribbean.

Last Five
1. Brilliant mistake - Elvis Costello
2. Please forgive me - David Gray
3. Shotgun wedding - Andrew LeDrew
4. The blossoms - Badly Drawn Boy
5. Five days in May - Blue Rodeo*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bastard. Enough already! Or I shall taunt you with my wonderful stories of lying in the sun by the shores of the fabulous blue Persian Gulf relaxing in the luxury of a five star hotel come February month.....

tanker belle said...

Just remember those five star hotels in the persian gulf also make you pay through the nose for internet access. Not that I expect you'll be on the net much, Colette.

Clare said...

Have a good trip Craig, and Merry Christmas. I found my tropical Christmas to be decidedly different and for the most part I longed for snow and familiar traditions. It did however provide one of those magical moments that has stayed with me forever.

At the risk of being a Blog Ho, I wrote about it on the Blog a couple of years ago and that can be found here... http://kiggavik.typepad.com/the_house_other_arctic_mu/2005/12/ghosts_of_chris.html

Clare said...

Yeah, and thanks for the Rolling Stone link again. Good thing iTunes wouldn't let me download Springsteen or it would have been (slightly) worse.