John Spencer, who played Leo McGarry on The West Wing, died of a heart attack Friday morning. He was just shy of his 59th birthday.
That's way too young. He was a good actor on one of the finest tv shows of the past decade. Plus, he seemed like a good guy who faced his demons (he was a recovering alcoholic) and beat them back.
I'm trying hard not to think about what the show is going to do for the rest of the season because obviously it's of secondary importance right now. He was an intergral part of the show this season. It's going to be a tangly bit of business to straighten it out.
After the mourning is done, of course.
Last 5 on iPod
1. Maria's bed - Bruce Springsteen (Devils and Dust)
2. The waiting - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Greatest Hits)
3. Born to run - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (Live:1975-85)
4. Barons of suburbia - Tori Amos (The Beekeeper)
5. Watching the detectives - Elvis Costello (Very Best of...)