Saturday, December 17, 2005

Vendetta

I keep mentioning the V For Vendetta movie because I'm fairly excited about it. I was really disappointed when it didn't come out around November 5. Considering one of the main characters dresses like Guy Fawkes and is trying to blow things up and this was the 400th anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot, the timing was perfect. Coming out on St. Paddy's Day doesn't really have the same impact.



The reason I mention it now is that a new trailer is out for the movie which makes me want to see it even more.

If you want to know why I'm so excited about this comic to movie production, then I can't recommend the graphic novel enough. It was one of those things that when I first read it in the 80s that I knew, knew was going to be a classic. I might have only been 17 or so, but I still could figure out when I was reading something brilliant.

(By the way, if you don't want to order from Chapters, then I highly recommend going to Downtown Comics on Duckworth Street. The store is located near the KFC.)

For those of you rolling your eyes over comic books, all I can say is that this is written by Alan Moore, one of the finest writers - period - of the past 25 years. His Watchmen was recently sited by Time Magazine as one of the 100 greatest books of the 20th Century. I honestly think V For Vendetta is better. Or at least much more important as a political statement.

I mean, just read this article examining whether or not V is a terrorist. It's going to be interesting to see how some of the themes playout given the atmosphere in England and the U.S. these days.

I really, really hope the movie is good. I know there have been changes. Moore has disavowed the movie to the point where he gave up the royalities he would have received from it (he did the same with the in-production Watchmen and Constantine). But still, I hope.

This is one of these "If you trust me on pop culture stuff, trust me on this" moments. Besides, it's subject matter is never going to cease being topical. It is today, what with the latest spying allegations.

Last 5 on iPod
1. Stuck in a moment - U2 (All That You Can't Leave Behind)
2. Champaigne supernova - Oasis (What's the Story, Morning Glory)
3. There must be an angel - Eurythmics (Ultimate Collection)
4. Tara's theme - The Pursuit of Happiness (The Wonderful World of...)
5. Obstacle 1 - Interpol (Turn On The Bright Lights)

No comments: