Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Music Max

I haven't talked much about the music around here. We've been listening to it pretty much non-stop rather than listening to our iPods. We've even managed to find a rare beast in the some of the rooms we've stayed at - an actual music video channel that plays music videos. It's called MusicMax, Australia's version of Much Music. As an added bonus, they've been doing a different Top 100 list every day of the week. They had one for the Top 100 Australian music videos the other day and it was surreal listening to all of this music that is considered classic by Australian standards that I had never heard of before. Alas, I missed the #1 video, but if I had to hazards a guess, I'm going to go with either "Jailbreak" by AC/DC, "Beds are burning" by Midnight Oil, something by INXS or "Down Under" by Men At Work.

Actually, in a moment of pure shock, when we were driving into Airlie Beach last week, "Down Under" actually came on the radio. I nearly passed out from shock. I would have bet good money that song was banned from local radio stations upon pain of death, but no, there it was. Amusing, really.

Oh, and the unofficial song of the trip has turned out to be a bit of a blast from the past. It's "You're the voice" by John Farnham. A bit of a shocker, really. However, he has a major concert tour happening here in September and the aforementioned video station has been playing ads for it non-stop. So the song is locked in my head. I remember the song from the 80s. Farnham was kind of a one-hit wonder in North America, but he's huge in Australia. So there we go, "You're the Voice" is an earworm that I haven't been able to shake yet.

I'm kind of hoping we get to see a band when we hit Brisbane or even a rugby game. It's just one of those things. I like all the tours and sitting on the beach and poking around on stores. But catching a good local band or even enjoying the spectacle of thousands of people watching rugby (which I still don't understand), would be nice.

3 comments:

Sara Dorman said...

Rugby's fab! Only sport I watch on TV. Haven't quite managed to get to Murrayfield for a match yet. Enjoy!

WJM said...

It took me a quarter century to expunge from my brain a certain awful 1981 song by a certain band named after a town in the Fraser Valley east of Vancouver.

Curse you, cancon rules.

All of that hard-fought expunging was undone in a matter of seconds in a cab in Saskatoon last week.

Jordan~Stephanie said...

It is safe to day that, if you've seen the movie HOT ROD . . . that song has officially been dubbed legendary!

Pete Murray is someone to check out while your down there.

He's Spectacular . . . test out "So Beautiful"