Friday, July 24, 2009

Keeping our Whits

So, we missed yesterday's update simply by getting too late to the internet cafe. Oh well, it happens. And we're on vacation, so we're allowed these sorts of things.

So we're now in lovely Airlie Beach. We are nowhere near Melbourne, so people should feel free to stop accusing me of stealing curling stones. It's a stunning place, what with the view out the harbour of all the Whitsunday islands. We've already been out sea kayaking this morning, which was a good thing as the wind has come up, meaning all sea kayaking for the rest of today and tomorrow has been cancelled. Saturday we're just going to lounge around town. Sunday we're doing a tour of several of the islands and Monday is still up for grabs.

I suppose I should mention something about the trip to here from Cairns, but honestly, it was a bit disappointing. I think I was expecting something a bit more like what we experienced on the Pacific Coast Highway back in '06. Driving down the coast with mountains on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other. But we never got that. We did get mountains off in the distance, but with maybe three of four exceptions, we hardly saw the ocean at all.

Instead what we saw was sugar cane. My god, the endless miles of sugar cane fields. There were times when it felt like it was never going to end. So yeah, about 400 km of sugar cane fields can get a bit monotonous after a bit. But the Whitsundays are promising to make up for it.

And now, as a bonus, the most touristy photo you're ever likely to see. We need to do some laundry this evening and so I threw on one of the t-shirts I bought a few days ago. I think the shirt, the Tilley hat, the shades and the brown shorts pretty much assure that I won't be confused as a local anytime soon. We figure the only way it could be more touristy is if I had my camera hanging around my neck and a Kangaroo leather hat on my head. But if you can think of anything to improve on the look, feel free to mention it in comments.

Oh, and also a few pics from sea kayaking this morning, just to give you an idea of what the place is like.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you like it and all, but how you are going to go back to Nunavut is beyond me.

towniebastard said...

At this moment, I honestly don't know either. I'm encouraging Cathy to look for teaching positions over here...