Monday, July 13, 2009

Lounging around

One of the oddities of this particular vacation is that we're travelling in Executive Class. Now, I'm rapidly approaching 40 and this is the first time I've ever bothered to travel this way. For many years, it was simply impossible. I could barely afford a Canada3000 ticket, let alone an upgrade to Executive Class. I've friends that managed to get bumped up, but I've never been able to figure out what alchemy or magic they used to make that happen.

So I've been sitting in the back of the plane, occasionally in cramped conditions. During one memorably flight back in 1996 on board a Korean AirLines flight I actually passed out. Oh, and the flight back from the Domincan in '05. Not enough leg room and a few other factors...out like a light.

So this whole travelling in Exec class is odd. The nice, big seats with lots of leg room. Plenty of food and beverages. Service to the expense of other passengers (we were getting cups of OJ and water while passengers were still trying to get on board. Kind of embarassing, really).

And then there's the lounges you have access to while waiting for the flights. Nice comfy chairs, free snacks and beverages (including booze) and free internet access. The free booze is also kind of embarassing. I feel like I should be drinking it, but I'm not a drinker. And furthermore, I'm just drinking water. This is a long trip and I just want to keep hydrated and not mess around with booze or pop.

It's three hours until the flight heads out to Sydney, except, of course, my body is telling me its midnight. So the next couple of days are going to be interesting. We'll slepp on the plane and hopefully won't be too messed up when we hit Sydney.

And now, I shall go off in search of free soup.

1 comment:

Dups said...

I'll remember this when I board my flight next week near the cargo hold... I got bumped up exactly once in my life... in a small prop plane on my very first trip to Newfoundland from Hongkong (yes well from Toronto to NF). Not much of a bump up...

Of course next week I fly Air Canada, I'm just usually thankful when they land me in the place I was going to, the seat and all else come probably 350th in my concern list ;)

Enjoy the flight to Oz. Want to see Pics!!!

Dups