Tuesday, June 30, 2009

You want me to eat seven inches of what?

I try not to buy Entertainment Weekly all that often - I do so no more than two or three times a year, and normally it's for when I'm travelling. EW is very handy disposable travel reading; good for about an hour's worth of distraction if you take your time. But their website is actually pretty good for entertainment news and pop culture references. So I normally hit that every couple of days, just to see if there is anything to amuse me.

And this, well this is the jackpot.


I honestly thought this was a spoof ad that went up online somewhere because, surely God, no company would actually put out an ad with a woman who looks like a sex doll about to go down on a hamburger called a "BK Super Seven Incher." That's a joke, right?

Nope.

And in case you're having a hard time reading the text, it reads: "Fill your desire for something long, juicy and flame-grilled with the NEW BK SUPER SEVEN INCHER. Yearn for more after you taste the mind-blowing burger that comes with a single beef patty, topped with American cheese, crispy onions and the A1 Thick and Hearty Steak Sauce."

Now, you see, I think they're trying to imply something about eating this burger, but given how subtle the ad is, I'm not sure what it is...

Actually, I am a bit disappointed after reading the Gawker article to discover that the ad only ran in Singapore and never in North America. It does lose a touch of it's awesome awfulness knowing it ran in a foreign country where English isn't the primary language.

Still, given the attention this ad has grabbed in recent days, along with stories on how Burger King isn't doing the best financially these days, I suspect the addage that there is no such thing as bad press is somewhat misplaced.

Last Five
1. Muriel - Tom Waits
2. Within you without you/Tomorrow never knows - The Beatles
3. Burn for it - Sloan
4. Hold on, hold on - Neko Case
5. Both hands (live) - Ani Difranco*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*choke*