Tuesday, July 15, 2008

King of dumb

If yesterday was not the worst day I have had in recent years, then it has to be up there. Through what could only be termed as a temporary loss of sanity, I got off the train during a layover in Milano on our way to Cinque Terre. Instead of taking my stachel which normally comtains all my information and money, I just grabbed the money belt, tucked it into my pocket and ran out to a store to grab some snacks.

I came back with the snacks. I did not come back with the money belt. Score one for the pickpocks of Italy.

How catastrophically stupid and expensive were these snacks? The tally is one passport, two credit cards, one bank card, a drivers licence and about 300 euros. I am so mad at myself I could scream. And yet, I do not have that luxuary. There is too much to do in the next few days.

First, the rest of our time in Cinque Terre is now cut short. We were going to leave on Friday and head to Rome. Instead, we leave for Rome on Wednesday. I need to get to the embassy and get things taken care of. They are pretty sure they can issue me a new passport, but the sooner I get there, the better. Friday is too late. All the credit cards are cancelled.

It could have been much worse. I keep telling myself that, as do others (Cathys family has been invaluable the last 24 hours). I could have been mugged. We could have been harmed in some way. The worse that happens is extreme inconvenience and money loss. Still, I am so frustrated with myself. I had been so careful during this trip. Then one stupid slip in judgement and bang.

More from Rome. At some point tomorrow to let everyone know how it is going.

4 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

That is really scary!! Hope you get everything replaced quickly and can enjoy the rest of your time.

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Good luck Craig. It's a good reminder to all of us... Good luck indeed. If you need anything, don't hesitate to get in touch. At least I'm roughly in your timezone right now.

Cheers
Dups

tanker belle said...

Please tell me you kept a photocopy of your passport with your/cathy's family.

The trials and tribulations of travel. I mock Himself for his anal retentiveness on vacation at times, but yeah, there's good reason for it.

As you said, it could have been worse.

Anonymous said...

Well that bites big time. Sorry that put a damper on what sounds like a pretty good holiday up to that point.